Partial Derivatives of f(x,y,z): Solve Confusing Homework

• Thread starter sarahaha288
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, to find the partial derivatives of f(x,y,z)=50-14x+3y^2-2xy (e^z), you treat each variable as a constant and differentiate normally. The x-partial derivative would be -14+2ye^z+2xye^z, while the y-partial derivative would be 6y-2xe^z and the z-partial derivative would be -2xy(e^z).
sarahaha288

Homework Statement

I need to find the partial derivitives of f(x,y,z)=50-14x+3y^2-2xy (e^z)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i think the x-partial would be -14+2ye^z+2xye^z... but I'm not sure and I'm confused of how to find the others!

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x,y,z)=50-14x+3y2-2xyez

simply when taking the partial derivative w.r.t. to a variable, you treat the rest as constants.

so for ∂f/∂x, we would treat y and z as constants and differentiate normally.

∂f/∂x=∂/∂x(50)-∂/∂x(14x)+∂/∂x(3y2)-∂/∂x(2xyez)

How did you get your answer though?

So for ∂f/∂z, treat x and y as constants. It is similar for ∂f/∂y.

1. What are partial derivatives and why are they important in solving homework?

Partial derivatives are a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. They are important in solving homework because they allow us to analyze how a function changes in multiple dimensions, which is often necessary in real-world applications.

2. How do I find the partial derivatives of a function?

To find the partial derivatives of a function, we use the partial derivative operator (∂) and take the derivative of the function with respect to one variable while holding the other variables constant. For example, to find the partial derivative of f(x,y,z) with respect to x, we would write ∂f/∂x.

3. What is the difference between partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives?

Partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives are both measures of the rate of change of a function. The main difference is that partial derivatives consider the change in only one variable while holding the other variables constant, while ordinary derivatives consider the overall change in the function with respect to one variable.

4. How can I use partial derivatives to solve confusing homework problems?

To solve homework problems involving partial derivatives, it is helpful to first identify which variable you are taking the derivative with respect to. Then, apply the partial derivative operator (∂) and follow standard differentiation rules. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or use a graphing calculator to visualize the problem.

5. What are some real-life applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have many real-life applications, particularly in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to analyze how multiple variables affect a system, such as in optimizing production levels or predicting the path of a moving object. They are also essential in understanding and solving problems in multivariable calculus and differential equations.