Pathogenesis of Dengue? Can someone outline it?

• Medical
  • Thread starter GdaT
  • Start date
In summary, the pathogenesis of dengue involves the transmission of the dengue virus through mosquito bites, which then infects and replicates in human cells. The virus can cause a range of symptoms, from mild flu-like illness to severe hemorrhagic fever. The disease is characterized by an initial febrile phase, followed by a critical phase where the virus can cause damage to blood vessels and lead to plasma leakage and shock. The immune response to the virus also plays a crucial role in the pathogenesis of dengue, as it can contribute to the severity of symptoms. Early diagnosis and prompt treatment are essential in managing dengue and preventing serious complications.
GdaT
I was wondering if someone can give me a brief outline of the pathogenesis of Dengue?

All I know is that it is caused by a virus who's vector is Aedes Aegypti.

What I want to know is how it enters cells, which cells it targets, how it replicates, and how it causes the symptoms of dengue fever/dengue hemorrhagic fever.

An example of what I mean is with this video on HIV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hbng14BhcU

They explain the cells the virus targets, the way it enters the cell, and the way it replicates.

From another site, I found out that HIV leads to apoptosis of these cells, that some may be marked for destruction by killer T cells, and that others may die of excessive disruption of the cell membrane. This would lead to a low count of immune system cells, leading to the individual eventually becoming severely immunocompromised (AIDS).

Just a basic outline like that is what I want for dengue, but I can't seem to find anything concrete like I can for AIDS.

I hear the terms hemostasis disturbance and increased vascular permeability thrown about, which are terms that I have a very basic understanding of. Hemostasis I guess refers to clotting, and vascular permability refers to the permeability of vascular tissue to certain ions. But the sources I find on google don't really explain how this comes about, or how this leads to symptoms.

I've tried the library as well, and none of the medical books even HAVE anything to do with the pathogenesis of Dengue. I found lots on HIV, but nothing on Dengue.

So I decided I might as well ask around and see if people can point me in the right direction, or help me with this. I have to do a minor presentation for a second year biology course that doesn't require too much depth.

Please, help me if you can :(

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know if this article will help or not. I found some abstracts re cytokines, but original articles cost $.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/215840-overview

EDIT: I wouldn't expect that you will find anything like the volume of research on DF and DHF as you would on HIV/AIDS,

Last edited:
GdaT said:
I was wondering if someone can give me a brief outline of the pathogenesis of Dengue?
google dengue fever pathenogenisis, I found a ton of papers on it.

Evo said:
google dengue fever pathenogenisis, I found a ton of papers on it.

Yes, but a lot of it is repetitious or superficial. It sounded like the OP was looking for the kind of depth one finds in HIV/AIDS research. The article I linked has quite a few references.

http://medind.nic.in/iaf/t05/i2/iaft05i2p92.pdf

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
Yes, but a lot of it is repetitious and superficial. It sounded like the OP was looking for the kind of depth one finds in HIV/AIDS research. The article I linked has quite a few references.
The article you linked to was ok, your second link is much better..

I hate spoon feeding people that can't bother to do a google search, but here are links to 119 free articles on it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

First paper

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...ItemSupl.Pubmed_DiscoveryDbLinks&ordinalpos=1

1. What causes dengue?

The pathogenesis of dengue is primarily caused by the dengue virus (DENV), which is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected Aedes mosquitoes. There are four serotypes of DENV (DENV-1, DENV-2, DENV-3, and DENV-4) and infection with any of these can lead to dengue fever.

2. How does the dengue virus cause symptoms?

The dengue virus infects immune cells in the body, specifically monocytes and macrophages. These cells produce cytokines and other inflammatory molecules in response to the virus, leading to the characteristic symptoms of dengue fever such as fever, headache, and muscle and joint pain.

3. What is the role of the immune system in dengue pathogenesis?

The immune system plays a crucial role in dengue pathogenesis. In early stages of infection, the immune response is responsible for controlling the spread of the virus. However, in some cases, the immune response can become overactive, causing an excessive release of cytokines and leading to severe dengue symptoms such as hemorrhagic fever and shock syndrome.

4. How does dengue progress to severe disease?

In some cases, dengue fever can progress to severe dengue, which includes symptoms such as plasma leakage, bleeding, and organ impairment. This is thought to be due to a combination of factors, including viral virulence, host immune response, and genetic predisposition. In severe cases, dengue can lead to shock, organ failure, and death if not treated promptly.

5. Are there any treatments or vaccines for dengue?

There is currently no specific treatment for dengue, and supportive care is the main approach. However, several potential vaccines are in development and have shown promising results in clinical trials. Prevention through mosquito control measures remains the most effective way to prevent dengue transmission.