Calculating Power and Resistance of a Domestic Bulb with 0.25A and 12V

In summary, a current of 0.25A flows through a bulb when a voltage of 12V is applied across it, resulting in a power of 3W. To find the resistance of the bulb, you can use Ohm's Law or Kirchhoff's rules, which state that potential difference (voltage) is equal to the current times the resistance.
hgo0
A current of 0.25A flows through a bulb when a voltage of 12V is applied across it. Calculate the power and resistance of the bulb.

please show working out

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi hgo0! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

0.25A x 12V = 3W

i don't know how to get the resistance or if I am doing this right :uhh:

hgo0 said:
0.25A x 12V = 3W

Hi hgo0! :smile:

That's right: amps times volts = watts (or current times voltage = power).
i don't know how to get the resistance or if I am doing this right :uhh:

Have you done Ohm's Law (or Kirchhoff's rules ) ? If not, look them up.

V = IR (or potential difference = voltage = current times resistance). :wink:

kk thanks a lot I'm new to physics (first year) and failing soo i need all the help i can get :biggrin:

1. What is Simple Domestic Electricity?

Simple Domestic Electricity refers to the flow of electric charge through a circuit in a household or residential setting. It is used to power everyday appliances and devices, such as lights, televisions, and refrigerators.

2. How is Simple Domestic Electricity generated?

Simple Domestic Electricity is usually generated by power plants, which use a variety of methods such as coal, natural gas, or nuclear reactions to produce electricity. This electricity is then transmitted through power lines to homes and buildings.

3. What are the components of a Simple Domestic Electricity system?

A Simple Domestic Electricity system typically consists of a power source, such as a power plant, a transformer to step up or step down the voltage, power lines for transmission, a meter to measure electricity usage, and a circuit breaker to protect against overloading.

4. How does Simple Domestic Electricity work?

Simple Domestic Electricity works by creating a circuit, or a closed loop of conductive materials, which allows for the flow of electric charge. The power source, such as a battery or power plant, provides the energy to push the charge through the circuit, powering devices or appliances along the way.

5. What are some safety precautions to take with Simple Domestic Electricity?

It is important to take certain safety precautions when dealing with Simple Domestic Electricity. This includes using grounded outlets, avoiding overloading circuits, and keeping electrical cords and appliances away from water sources. It is also important to have a working smoke detector and a fire extinguisher in case of any accidents.