Gas pressure in variable diameter pipe

In summary, the fan at the end of the 4" pipe is sucking air through the pipe, and the 3" section of pipe experiences a vacuum relative to the 4" section of pipe.
anasasis
This may be an elementary question, but I am still in the elementary stages of physics. My question is this: if you have a 4" fan at the end of a 4" pipe which is sucking air through the pipe, and the pipe narrows to 3" about 24" from the fan, does the 24" section of 4" pipe experience a vacuum relative to the 3" section of pipe? Assume the volume of air being pulled by the fan is either constant or increasing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. That's bernoulli's principle and the venturi effect. Have a look at the wiki for those subjects and then we can take it deeper if you like.

Okay, well a little background on what I'm trying to do. I have a project vehicle that I would like to run compound boost on. It is a 5.3L engine currently with a roots-style, positive displacement blower on it. I put the blower on, and it is plenty powerful on the low end. Torque is immediately available, and that's what this type of blower is made for...but it lacks severly on the high end powerband. My solution is to put a turbocharger in front of it to help with the high end.
The problem people run into with compound setups is uncontrolled boost because the pressures multiply once they reach the blower. I would like to fix this by making the compound boost sequential instead of simultaneous, whereas vacuum in front of the turbo compressor activates a bypass valve on the blower to allow it to flow pressure freely while the turbo is making boost.
Now, all I need to do is figure out what dimensions to use when I fabricate the inlet on the turbo so that it will create the vacuum necessary to trigger the blower bypass valve. It takes 15 inHg to open the valve all the way. My idea is that by narrowing the inlet pipe some distance from the opening of the compressor in the turbo, that certain distance will experience a vacuum relative to the rest of the inlet pipe. I've got the concept, but where is a good place to start?

1. What causes gas pressure in a variable diameter pipe?

The pressure of gas in a variable diameter pipe is caused by the force of the gas molecules colliding with the walls of the pipe. As the diameter of the pipe changes, the number of collisions and the force of each collision will vary, resulting in changes in gas pressure.

2. How does the diameter of a pipe affect gas pressure?

The diameter of a pipe has a direct impact on gas pressure. A larger diameter pipe will have a lower gas pressure, as the gas molecules have more room to move and collide with each other. In a smaller diameter pipe, the gas molecules are more confined, resulting in a higher gas pressure.

3. What is the relationship between gas pressure and flow rate in a variable diameter pipe?

In a variable diameter pipe, the gas pressure and flow rate are inversely related. This means that as the gas pressure increases, the flow rate decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is due to the conservation of energy and the principles of fluid dynamics.

4. How can gas pressure be measured in a variable diameter pipe?

Gas pressure in a variable diameter pipe can be measured using a pressure gauge or sensor. The pressure gauge is typically attached to the pipe to measure the force of the gas molecules colliding with the walls. The sensor can also be used to measure the pressure by detecting changes in gas density or flow rate.

5. What factors can affect gas pressure in a variable diameter pipe?

Several factors can affect gas pressure in a variable diameter pipe, including the gas type, temperature, and the diameter and length of the pipe. Additionally, changes in gas flow rate or external forces, such as obstructions or bends in the pipe, can also impact gas pressure. Proper measurement and control of these factors are crucial for accurate analysis and prediction of gas pressure in a variable diameter pipe.