Electric Generators: Iron Core for Larger Current?

In summary, an iron core will result in a higher magnetic field when a current is running through it, but due to its increased permeability, the current will be reduced when using the same magnetic field and changing position.
nbsmith
I know that the iron core of a solenoid will result in a higher magnetic field than a hollow core when a current is running through it.

I'm wondering if the reverse is true. Will an iron core result in a larger current when the solenoid is exposed to a changing magnetic field?

I want to create a simple generator where one or two electric coils are rotating between some magnets and I am wondering if having an iron core will create a larger current.

Any explanation as to why would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nbsmith said:
I know that the iron core of a solenoid will result in a higher magnetic field than a hollow core when a current is running through it.

I'm wondering if the reverse is true. Will an iron core result in a larger current when the solenoid is exposed to a changing magnetic field?

I want to create a simple generator where one or two electric coils are rotating between some magnets and I am wondering if having an iron core will create a larger current.

Any explanation as to why would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Let's see here. We have the following from Ampere's law:
B = mu NI/h
Solving this for the current, we get:
I = Bh/(N mu)
Where mu depends on the core material. Using iron (or most other metals) this value will be greater than mu_nought = 1/(4pi x10^-7) ~ 1.2566650×10^-6.
The movement of the core inside the solenoid causes a changing magnetic field ([tex]\hat{B}[/tex]) which causes an induced current (I). As such, the current depends on the changing magnetic field, as well as the permeability of the space inside (our mu.) As mu_iron > mu_hollow, where mu_hollow=mu_nought, we will get a smaller induced current using an iron core from the same changing magnetic field, [tex]\hat{B}[/tex]. This would mean changing the position of the core inside of the solenoid by the same amount and at the same rate.

So, if the changing magnetic field is the same in both trials (one with a hollow solenoid, one with an iron core) we get a larger induced current using a hollow core as a result of the smaller permeability value. As such, we will get a smaller induced current when using an iron core as a result of its larger permeability value.

Since there is the above exposition, I'll just add in simpler language also that the added resistance of the iron core, if the solenoid is formed of uninsulated wire so there is contact, will add to the resistance of the system and therefore reduce current flow per "V=P/I."

This rarely has any purpose to be considered since most solenoids are insulated... but... life happens.

1. What is an electric generator?

An electric generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It consists of a rotating conductor, usually a coil of wire, within a magnetic field that induces an electric current.

2. How does an electric generator work?

An electric generator works by rotating a coil of wire, known as an armature, within a magnetic field. This movement creates a changing magnetic flux which induces an electric current in the wire. The current then flows through the conductor and can be used to power electrical devices.

3. What is the purpose of an iron core in an electric generator for larger currents?

The iron core in an electric generator is used to increase the strength of the magnetic field. This allows for a larger current to be induced in the armature, resulting in a more powerful generator.

4. What are the advantages of using an iron core in an electric generator?

The use of an iron core in an electric generator allows for a stronger magnetic field, which results in increased efficiency and power output. It also helps to reduce losses in the generator, making it more reliable and durable.

5. Are there any limitations to using an iron core in an electric generator for larger currents?

While an iron core is beneficial for larger currents, it can also add weight and size to the generator. This can make it more difficult to transport and install. Additionally, if the generator is not properly designed, the iron core may overheat and cause damage to the generator.