What to do about textbooks with solutions

• Studying
  • Thread starter imranq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, there are no solutions available for the exercises in C.C. Pugh's real analysis book, causing difficulty for those trying to learn from it. One option is to post questions and solutions on online forums or seek help from professors, but this can be time-consuming. Another suggestion is to form a study group to compare answers and reduce mistakes. Additionally, there is a website that offers solutions to selected problems from the text, although it may not be well-organized.
imranq
edit: whoops, the title should read, "what to do about textbooks with no solutions"

So I'm trying to learn real analysis (using C.C. Pugh's book) and its going alright until I hit the exercises. There are no solutions! How am I supposed to know I proved something correctly? Is there a website with some proofs written down?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're not sure, you can always post the question along with your solution to the homework forums here. Most likely you will get a response, if you take the time to express it clearly.

The only problem with that option is time. For people going through many problems, this becomes inneficient. Perhaps you could try to find a study group? Working on the same problem separately and then comparing answers will greatly reduce the amount of mistakes you do. You could always go see one of your professors (If they're willing to spare the time) so that they can check over your work.

If not, then, as the poster above said, post your questions here.

-F

Check out this http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~rubin/math127/"

it's a little disorganized but it does post some solutions to selected problems from the text.

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand the frustration of not having solutions available for exercises in textbooks. It can make it difficult to know if we are on the right track and can hinder our learning process. However, I would like to offer some suggestions on how to approach this situation.

Firstly, it is important to remember that the purpose of exercises in textbooks is to test our understanding and application of the material. It is not always necessary to have solutions available in order to learn and improve our skills. In fact, struggling through problems and finding our own solutions can often be more beneficial in the long run.

That being said, there are some steps you can take to address the issue of not having solutions available. One option is to reach out to your professor or classmates for help. They may have a different perspective or approach to the problem that can guide you in the right direction.

Another option is to utilize online resources such as forums or study groups where you can discuss the problems with other students or experts in the field. You can also search for websites that offer solutions to textbook exercises, but be cautious and make sure the solutions are accurate and align with the textbook you are using.

Additionally, you can try to break down the problem into smaller parts and work through it systematically. This can help you identify any errors in your thinking and lead you to the correct solution.

In the end, it is important to remember that learning is a process and it takes time and effort. Don't be discouraged by the lack of solutions in your textbook, instead use it as an opportunity to strengthen your problem-solving skills and deepen your understanding of the material. Keep persevering and seeking help when needed, and you will ultimately succeed in mastering real analysis.

What are textbooks with solutions?

Textbooks with solutions are educational materials that include the answers or solutions to problems and exercises within the textbook. These solutions are typically provided to help students check their work and understand the concepts better.

Why are textbooks with solutions important?

Textbooks with solutions can be beneficial for students who are struggling with a particular subject or topic. They provide an extra resource for students to check their understanding and improve their problem-solving skills. Textbooks with solutions can also save time for teachers who may not have enough time to grade every student's work.

Are textbooks with solutions cheating?

No, textbooks with solutions are not considered cheating. As long as students are using the solutions to check their work and understand the material better, it is a valuable learning tool. However, it is important for students to not solely rely on the solutions and to still put in effort to solve problems on their own.

Where can I find textbooks with solutions?

Textbooks with solutions can often be found in college bookstores or online through various retailers. Some textbooks may come with a separate solutions manual or the solutions may be included within the textbook itself. It is important to make sure you are purchasing the correct edition of the textbook to ensure the solutions align with the problems in your book.

How can I use textbooks with solutions effectively?

To use textbooks with solutions effectively, it is important to first attempt to solve the problems on your own before checking the solutions. This will help you identify areas where you may need more practice or review. After checking the solutions, take the time to understand and learn from the steps provided. Additionally, it may be helpful to work with a study group or tutor to further discuss and review the solutions.