When to use 'ln' in integration?

In summary, it is not always correct to use the natural logarithm when integrating a function with a polynomial denominator. While it may work for simpler cases, for more complicated denominators, it is necessary to use other techniques such as completing the square. Differentiating the anti-derivative can also be used as a check to ensure the correct answer is obtained.
Shaybay92
I get confused when it is 'ok' to use the natural logarithm when integrating a function. As soon as I see a denominator, I am always tempted to simply go 'ln(denominator)/d denominator)' but this is clearly wrong...

Is it wrong in situations where you have a polynomial denominator? For example

Integral 1/(x^2 + 2x + 5) dx... would this be ln(x^2 + 2x + 5) / 2x + 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always check it by differentiating your anti-derivative and checking if you get the integrand back.
When you have something like
[tex]\int \frac{1}{2x + 3} \, dx[/tex]
and you "guess"
[tex]\frac{\ln |2x + 3|}{2}[/tex]
you can differentiate and see that it nicely works out (you need the chain rule, which gives a factor of 2 cancelling the denominator).

However, if you try that for
[tex]\frac{\ln(x^2 + 2x + 5)}{2x + 2}[/tex]
you have to use a more complicated rule (e.g. quotient or product + chain rule) to differentiate, you don't just get
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2 + 2x + 5} \frac{2x + 2}{2x + 2}[/tex]
but it is followed by "+ ... something you don't want ... "

So in this case you need to come up with something better. For example, in this quadratic function, you can try "completing the square": if you write
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2 + 2x + 5} = \frac{1}{(x + a)^2 + b}[/tex]
you can substitute [itex]u = (x + a) / \sqrt{b}[/itex] and use that
[tex]\int \frac{1}{1 + u^2} \, du = \operatorname{arctan}(u)[/tex]

Thanks for the help!

1. When should I use 'ln' in integration?

The natural logarithm, denoted by 'ln', is typically used in integration when the function being integrated involves exponential or power functions. It is also used when dealing with rates of change, such as in growth or decay problems.

2. What is the difference between 'ln' and 'log' in integration?

'ln' and 'log' are both logarithmic functions, but they use different bases. 'ln' uses the base 'e', which is approximately equal to 2.718, while 'log' typically uses the base 10. In integration, 'ln' is used more often because it simplifies certain integrals and is the inverse of the natural exponential function.

3. Can 'ln' be used with any type of function in integration?

No, 'ln' can only be used with functions that have a positive value for all x-values. This is because the natural logarithm is undefined for negative numbers and 0.

4. How do I know when to use 'ln' instead of other integration techniques?

If the function being integrated involves exponential or power functions, or if it is in the form of a rate of change, then 'ln' is likely the best choice for integration. However, it is always important to consider other techniques and choose the one that simplifies the integral the most.

5. Are there any special rules for using 'ln' in integration?

Yes, there are a few special rules for using 'ln' in integration. For example, the integral of 1/x is equal to ln|x| + C, and the integral of ln(x) is xln(x) - x + C. Additionally, the natural logarithm has the property of logarithmic differentiation, which can be useful when taking derivatives of complicated functions.