Changing place of limit and integral - problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the delta function and its integral representation using the Heaviside step function. The trick used to interchange the limit and integral is justified by uniform convergence, which is a main topic in Mathematical Analysis. However, this justification may not hold for all sequences of functions.
Petar Mali
[tex]\delta(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\Theta(x)[/tex] - delta function like a first derivative of Heaviside step function

[tex]\Theta(x)=\int dx\delta(x)[/tex]

We use integral representation of delta function

[tex]\delta(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}dke^{-ikx}[/tex]

from that we get

[tex]\Theta(x)=\int dx\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}dke^{-ikx} [/tex]

And now we use one trick!

[tex]\Theta(x)=\int dx\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}dke^{-ikx}lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+}e^{\epsilon k} [/tex]

Consider now the expression without the limit

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}dk\int dxe^{-i(k+i\epsilon)x}=\frac{i}{2\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}dk\frac{e^{-ikx}}{k+i\epsilon}[/tex]

we get that

[tex]\Theta(x)=\frac{i}{2\pi} lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0+}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}dk\frac{e^{-ikx}}{k+i\epsilon}[/tex]

Using complex integration in lower half plane for [tex]x>0[/tex] and upper half plane for [tex]x<0[/tex] we get that the upper expression is correct. But why we can change the place of limit and integral? I'm not sure.

Thanks for your answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
The question of when we can interchange to limits (and the integral, of course, is a limit) is a main topic in Mathmatical Analysis. Here we can do it because that limit converges uniformly.

Can you tell me the answer with little more details? Thanks

Nooo!

If you want to justify

[tex]
\lim_{n\to\infty} \int\limits_X f_n(x) d\mu(x) = \int\limits_X \lim_{n\to\infty} f_n(x) d\mu(x)
[/tex]

with uniform convergence, you must assume [tex]\mu(X) < \infty[/tex]

If [tex]\mu(X)=\infty[/tex], then uniform convergence is not enough. Counter examples exist. The Lebesgue Dominated Convergence theorem is the standard tool for this situation.

Mali, details of your calculations didn't make sense to me, but I believe that you are in a situation where an expression

[tex]
\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \int dx\; F_{\epsilon}(x)
[/tex]

makes sense, and an expression

[tex]
\int dx\; \lim_{\epsilon\to 0} F_{\epsilon}(x)
[/tex]

does not make sense. That means that not everything in your formulas is convergent, and you are not really supposed to justify change of orders of limit and integration. You are merely doing tricks.

Show that the sequence of functions converges uniformly on every compact (closed and bounded) set in its domain. Then you can exchange limits.

Rubbish! The standard counter example to the change of order of limit and integration, which is

[tex]
f_n(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}
\frac{1}{n}, & 0\leq x\leq n\\
0, & n < x\\
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

is also a counter example to this claim that uniform convergence on compact subsets of domain would be enough.

Last edited:
jostpuur said:
Rubbish! The standard counter example to the change of order of limit and integration, which is

[tex]
f_n(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}
\frac{1}{n}, & 0\leq x\leq n\\
0, & n < x\\
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

is also a counter example to this claim that uniform convergence on compact subsets of domain would be enough.

I never said my claim held for just any sequence of functions. It holds for the one in question because each integral can be rewritten as the line integral of an analytic function. This is a consequence of Morera's theorem.

1. What is the purpose of changing the limit and integral in a problem?

The purpose of changing the limit and integral in a problem is to make it easier to solve by transforming it into a more manageable form. This can also help in evaluating the integral and finding the solution to the problem.

2. How do you change the limit and integral in a problem?

The limit and integral can be changed by using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or using trigonometric identities. These techniques involve manipulating the integrand and limits to simplify the problem.

3. Why is it important to change the limit and integral in a problem?

Changing the limit and integral in a problem can be crucial in solving complex integrals and evaluating definite integrals. It can also help in finding the area under a curve, determining volumes of solids, and solving differential equations.

4. What are some common mistakes in changing the limit and integral?

Common mistakes in changing the limit and integral include errors in algebraic manipulation, forgetting to account for the change in limits, and incorrect substitution. It is important to carefully check each step and ensure that the final answer satisfies the given limits.

5. Is it always necessary to change the limit and integral in a problem?

No, it is not always necessary to change the limit and integral in a problem. Sometimes, the integral can be evaluated directly without changing the limits. However, in many cases, changing the limit and integral can simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.