What is the equation for calculating orbital period?

In summary, The orbital period of an asteroid around the sun, which is 4 times that of the Earth, can be calculated using 3rd Kepler's Law. The ratio of the radius to the orbital period is constant for all bodies orbiting the Sun, so you only need to know the ratio, which is already given. Using this law, the equation can be solved to find the orbital period of the asteroid, which is 8 times that of Earth. However, the units of measurement must be specified for this calculation to be accurate.
ghostbuster25
Ok just a quick question
trying to work out the orbital period of an asteroid around the sun which has an orbital period 4times that of the Earth which is 1.5*10^11m
i worked out the radius of the asteroid to be 6*10^11 but can't find the equation for the orbital period.
Does anyone know it?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use 3rd Kepler's Law:

[tex]
\frac{R^{3}}{T^{2}} = \textup{const}
[/tex]

for all bodies orbiting the Sun. You do not even need the value of the radius of the Earth's orbit, but just their ratio, which is already given.

haha thanks, your helping me a lot today!

so I am guessing as its 4 times that of Earth its 4AU?

what is the constant?

ghostbuster25 said:
haha thanks, your helping me a lot today!

so I am guessing as its 4 times that of Earth its 4AU?

what is the constant?

It's irrelevant. The ratio on the lhs has the same value for the Earth and for the asteroid. Equate the left hand sides for both the bodies and you will have an equation which you will need to solve for the orbital period of the asteroid.

ok I am getting...T=[tex]\sqrt{4^3}[/tex] = 8...which is one of the answers on my multiple choice :)

this would be true if you specified the units in which the orbital period is measured.

1. What is the orbital period equation?

The orbital period equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the amount of time it takes for an object to complete one full orbit around another object, such as a planet orbiting a star. It takes into account the distance between the two objects, as well as the mass of the objects.

2. How is the orbital period equation derived?

The orbital period equation is derived from Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis (the average distance between the planet and the object it is orbiting). This relationship was first discovered by Johannes Kepler in the 17th century.

3. What variables are included in the orbital period equation?

The orbital period equation includes three variables: the mass of the object being orbited (M), the distance between the two objects (a), and the gravitational constant (G). It can be written as: P = 2π * √(a^3/GM), where P represents the orbital period in seconds.

4. How is the orbital period equation used in astronomy?

The orbital period equation is used in astronomy to calculate the orbital periods of planets, moons, and other objects in our solar system and beyond. It allows scientists to predict and understand the motion of these objects, and can also be used to discover new planets and exoplanets by observing their orbital patterns.

5. Are there any limitations to the orbital period equation?

While the orbital period equation is a useful tool in understanding planetary motion, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the objects are in circular orbits and that there are no other significant forces acting on the objects. In reality, most orbits are elliptical and other factors such as gravitational pull from other objects can affect the orbital period. Additionally, the equation does not take into account relativistic effects, which become significant for objects with very large masses or traveling at very high speeds.