Help with Expected Value: Get Answers Here!

In summary, the conversation is about the expected gain from playing a game with three dice where the probability of winning back a dollar is 1/6 and losing it is 5/6. It is mentioned that additional dollars can be won depending on the outcome of the dice rolls, with different probabilities for each amount. There is a calculation discussed for the expected gain, with one person proposing -4/6 as the net gain and another suggesting -17/216.
juantamad
Thanks everyone!:)

My Answer:

If I understand it right, since there are 3 dice, the probability that any of the numbers 1 to 6 appears after the throwing the dice is 36/216 which gets simplified to 1/6. so the probability of winning back your dollar is 1/6 and losing it would be 5/6. so intially, i have this expected value >> 1/6- 5/6 = -4/6. Bu then it said there that if you win, you will have additional k dollars depending... so i tried to compute the different winning combinations... if i am correct, then there 56 different possible outcomes.. of those 56, 20 of them composed of numbers without replacement i.e. (a number only appear once in each combination), 30 of them contains those combination which some numbers appear twice i.e {112, 334, 551, ...} and 6 combinations of the numbers appearing three times i.e. {111, 222, ...} so the probability that you get an additional dollar to your winning is 20/56, 2 dollars is 30/56 and 3 dollars is 6/56.

Is it correct to say that the expected gain from playing the game once is equal to E[X] = 1(1/6) - 1 (5/6) + 1(20/56) + 2(30/56) + 3 (6/56)?

Or is it equal to,

E[X] = (1(20/56) + 2(30/56) + 3 (6/56) + 1)(1/6) - 5/6?Please, I just want to be clarified... Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked out your arithmetic, but my calculation is a net of -17/216.

P(losing)=125/216 net=-1
P(winning 1)=75/216 net=2
P(winning 2)=15/216 net=3
P(winning 3)=1/216 net=4

1. What is the expected value?

The expected value is a mathematical concept that represents the average outcome of a random variable over a large number of trials. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and adding all of these products together.

2. How is expected value used in science?

Expected value is commonly used in science to make predictions and decisions based on uncertain or variable outcomes. It is used in fields such as statistics, economics, and risk assessment to estimate the potential outcomes of experiments or events.

3. How do you calculate expected value?

To calculate expected value, you need to multiply each possible outcome by its probability of occurring, then add all of these products together. The resulting sum is the expected value. This formula can be written as E(x) = ΣxP(x), where x represents the outcomes and P(x) represents the probabilities.

4. What is the difference between expected value and actual value?

Expected value is a theoretical concept that represents the average outcome of a random variable, while actual value is the real outcome that occurs in a specific experiment or event. Expected value is based on probabilities and can be used to make predictions, while actual value is the result of a single trial.

5. Can expected value be negative?

Yes, expected value can be negative. This can occur when the possible outcomes have negative values and their probabilities are high enough to outweigh any positive outcomes. For example, if a coin flip results in a loss of $1 with a probability of 0.6 and a gain of $10 with a probability of 0.4, the expected value would be -0.20.