Triangle Math Help: Find a, b When c=4 & θ=20°

• Thread starter angelcase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their online physics class while also enrolled in a calculus class. The student is struggling with finding the lengths of sides in a right triangle and calculating trigonometric functions without using inverse functions. They received some guidance on using trigonometric identities and understanding quadrants.
angelcase
I need help...

I am taking physics for the first time and I am taking it online which probably isn't the smartest way to go...but to make matters worse I am also currently enrolled in the calculus class that is a prerequisite for the course at the same time so my math skills are not really up to par...If anyone can help me get through this semester with a better understanding of the course material it would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Let the three sides of a right triangle be designated a, b, and c where c is the hypoteneuse. If c = 4, and if the angle between c and b is θ = 20°, find the lengths of the other two sides.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

angelcase said:
Let the three sides of a right triangle be designated a, b, and c where c is the hypoteneuse. If c = 4, and if the angle between c and b is θ = 20°, find the lengths of the other two sides.

Start by drawing a diagram of the triangle and put in the angle θ.

You should know that

sinθ = opposite/hypotenuse and cosθ=adjacent/hypotenuse.

First off, thank you for responding so quickly...

I drew a diagram and labeled the sides, then I used sin and cos to find the sides a and b...I got sin (20)= b/4 and cos (20)= a/4...found b= 1.3681 and a= 3.75878...the computer marked my answers wrong...

Given sinθ = 0.6, calculate tanθ without using the inverse sine function, but instead by using one or more trigonometric identities. You will find two possible values.

I found one of the values using sin^2 (theta) + cos^2 (theta) = 1

I tried using cos (90 + theta)= sin theta to find the second one, but couldn't remember if you were able to distribute the cos...since addition is communitive or whatever that property is called...and get cos 90 + cos theta= sin theta

angelcase said:
First off, thank you for responding so quickly...

I drew a diagram and labeled the sides, then I used sin and cos to find the sides a and b...I got sin (20)= b/4 and cos (20)= a/4...found b= 1.3681 and a= 3.75878...the computer marked my answers wrong...

I think you put the angle in the wrong place. You need to put the angle between the sides b and c.

Which would give you sin(20)=a/4.

angelcase said:
Given sinθ = 0.6, calculate tanθ without using the inverse sine function, but instead by using one or more trigonometric identities. You will find two possible values.

I found one of the values using sin^2 (theta) + cos^2 (theta) = 1

I tried using cos (90 + theta)= sin theta to find the second one, but couldn't remember if you were able to distribute the cos...since addition is communitive or whatever that property is called...and get cos 90 + cos theta= sin theta

Ok well you know that sinθ is positive in quadrants 1 and 2.

So in quadrant 1, draw a triangle at the angle θ.

sinθ = 0.6 = 3/5 = opposite/hypotenuse

Meaning that in your triangle, wrt θ, 3 is opposite and 5 is the hypotenuse.

If you are unsure as to what I meant by quadrants, read http://myhandbook.info/form_trigono0.html" , the section titled "Trigonometric Functions in Four Quadrants"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does "c=4" represent in Triangle Math?

In triangle math, "c" represents the length of the third side of the triangle, also known as the hypotenuse.

2. What does "θ=20°" mean in Triangle Math?

In triangle math, "θ" represents the measure of the angle between side "a" and side "b". In this case, it is 20 degrees.

3. How do I find the length of side "a"?

To find the length of side "a", you can use the trigonometric ratio of sine. The formula is a = c*sin(θ). Plugging in the values given in the question, we get a = 4*sin(20°) ≈ 1.37 units.

4. How do I find the length of side "b"?

To find the length of side "b", you can use the trigonometric ratio of cosine. The formula is b = c*cos(θ). Plugging in the values given in the question, we get b = 4*cos(20°) ≈ 3.82 units.

5. Can I use other trigonometric ratios to find the lengths of sides "a" and "b"?

Yes, you can also use the tangent ratio to find the lengths of sides "a" and "b". The formula is a = c*tan(θ) and b = c/cot(θ). However, since we are not given any information about the angles and the opposite sides, it is easier to use sine and cosine ratios in this case.