Functions, Domains, And equality

In summary, two different functions f and g can have the set of real numbers as their domain and be equal for every rational number. One possible example of such functions are f(x) and g(x) defined above, where f(x) is 0 for all rational numbers and 1 for all irrational numbers, and g(x) is 0 for all rational numbers and 14 for all irrational numbers. This satisfies the criteria that f(x)=g(x) for every rational number.
L Huyghe

Homework Statement

Given an example of two different functions f and g, both of which have the set of real numbers as their domain, such that f(x)=g(x) for every rational number.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have yet to figure a way to approach this problem. Since it appears as though they are only equal for rational numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't seem from the problem statement that they are only equal for rational numbers, but in that case, why not just use that in the function definitions? You could define a function that is 0 for all rational numbers and 1 at all irrational numbers, for example. Then come up with a second function that meets the problem criteria.

You are right in doesn't necessarily state that all they are not equal in terms of irrational numbers in their domain

L Huyghe said:

Homework Statement

Given an example of two different functions f and g, both of which have the set of real numbers as their domain, such that f(x)=g(x) for every rational number.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have yet to figure a way to approach this problem. Since it appears as though they are only equal for rational numbers.
That is the approach! Define f to be whatever you want, then define g to be that same function on the rationals, but something else on the irrationals. Remember that a "function" does not necessarily mean a single "formula". Such a function cannot be "continuous" anywhere. I do wonder why such a problem would be posted under "precalculus". Since you are the same person who posted the "find f(x) that maps (0, 1) to [0, 1]", what course are these for?

The problem does say that f and g are different. So they have to have a different value at one point, at least.

HallsofIvy said:
I do wonder why such a problem would be posted under "precalculus".
Don't people generally learn the basics of functions in a precalculus class, or earlier?

It sounds like he just did the chapter on piecewise-defined functions. (Tip to opening poster: information such as what lesson you have just learned can be useful both to give you ideas, and to help those who want to help you)

Sorry about that, It's probably a good idea to give some more background knowledge about myself. It's not for a course, Just reading precalculus in advance for next year, and I found these problems in the book. I know about piecewise function, but they have yet to be clearly defined in the book yet. These question are in the intro to functions section.

*Also I am still having trouble answering original question, It would be great if u could give me an example. Sorry If i was vague before.

[tex] f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }
x \in \matbb{Q} \\1, & \mbox{ otherwise }\end{array}\right. [/tex]

[tex] g(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }
x \in \matbb{Q} \\14, & \mbox{ otherwise }\end{array}\right. [/tex]

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two sets of data, where each input has only one corresponding output. In other words, it is a rule that assigns each input value to a unique output value.

2. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for that function. In other words, it is the range of values for which the function is defined.

3. What is the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values for that function. In other words, it is the set of values that the function can produce when given a certain input.

4. What is the difference between domain and range?

The domain and range are two important concepts in functions, but they have different meanings. The domain is the set of input values for a function, while the range is the set of output values. In other words, the domain is the independent variable and the range is the dependent variable.

5. How do you determine if two functions are equal?

Two functions are considered equal if they have the same domain, the same range, and produce the same output for every input value. This means that the two functions must have the same rule or equation and result in the same output when given the same input.