What is the result of calculating arcsin(sin√5)?

• Thread starter TsAmE
  • Start date
But it's not in the range of arc sin.So you need to figure out the quadrant of \sqrt{5}.You also don't need to use linear approximation, in fact it is quite a bad method in this case. The best method is to use the identity spikey posted.
TsAmE

Homework Statement

Calculate arcsin(sin√5).

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

f(1/2) = sin(1/2)
= π / 6

f'(x) = cosx

f'(1/2) = cos(1/2)
= π / 3

y = π / 6 + π / 3(x - 1/2)
= π / 3 x

f(√5) = π / 3 (√5)
= √5π / 3

I tried using linear approximation, but didnt get the correct answer of π - √5

Physics news on Phys.org

arcsin(sin x) = x, PROVIDED that x is in the interval [-pi/2, pi/2]. You need to find a number x such that sin(x) = sin(sqrt(5)), where x is in [-pi/2, pi/2].

TsAmE, I might add that Calculus *methods* are not appropriate for this problem (even though it might appear in a calc book/course).
This is more about, as Mark44 has mentioned, coterminal angles and the domain of inverse trig functions.

Some people have an easier time working with degrees at first. Could you calculate
arcsin(sin(113degrees))?

you need to calculate arcsin(sin√5) ?

arcsin and sin are inverse functions of each other, thus:
arcsin(sin(x)) = x :)

gomunkul51 said:
you need to calculate arcsin(sin√5) ?

arcsin and sin are inverse functions of each other, thus:
arcsin(sin(x)) = x :)

This is not true in general, and definitely not true in this case arcsin(sin([itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex])) [itex]\neq[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex]. See post #2.

Mark44 said:
This is not true in general, and definitely not true in this case arcsin(sin([itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex])) [itex]\neq[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex]. See post #2.

yup. my mistake.

I don't know how much is assumed that you know in terms of numbers, but I remember that
[tex]\sqrt{5} \approx 2.236[/tex]

... and I remember the radian equivalent of the angles for each quadrant (for example, the angles in Q1 go from 0 to ~1.571 rad), so I could figure out what quadrant [tex]\sqrt{5}\,rad[/tex] is.

Also, it would be helpful to know one of the trig identities that deal with symmetry. (I hope that wasn't too many hints.)69

TsAmE said:

Homework Statement

Calculate arcsin(sin√5).

I tried using linear approximation, but didnt get the correct answer of π - √5

Use the identity sin(x) = sin([itex]\pi[/tex] - x)

Bohrok said:
Use the identity sin(x) = sin([itex]\pi[/tex] - x)

If that is the case then:

arcsin(sin√5) = arc(sin(π - √5)), but π - √5 is still in the 2nd quadrant which doesn't satisfy arc(sinx) = x [-π/2, π/2]. :confused:

Not quite. By intuition, [itex]\pi[/itex] is a bit more than 3 and [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] is a bit more than 2, so [itex]\pi-\sqrt{5}[/itex] is approximately 1. But [itex]\pi/2[/itex] is a number a bit more than 3 and halved, so a bit more than 1.5. Obviously [itex]\pi-\sqrt{5}<\pi/2[/itex] so it is in the first quadrant.

1. What is the value of arcsin(sin√5)?

The value of arcsin(sin√5) is approximately 1.107 radians or 63.43 degrees. It can also be written as π/3 + 2πk, where k is any integer.

2. How do you calculate arcsin(sin√5)?

To calculate arcsin(sin√5), you can use a scientific calculator or a trigonometric identity such as arcsin(sin x) = x for all values of x between -π/2 and π/2. In this case, x = √5, so the result is √5. However, it is important to note that the calculator will give the value in radians, so you will need to convert it to degrees if necessary.

3. What is the domain and range of arcsin(sin√5)?

The domain of arcsin(sin√5) is all real numbers between -π/2 and π/2, and the range is all real numbers between -√5 and √5.

4. Can the value of arcsin(sin√5) be negative?

Yes, the value of arcsin(sin√5) can be negative. In fact, it can be any real number between -√5 and √5. This is because the function arcsin(x) has a range of -π/2 to π/2, and √5 falls within this range.

5. What is the significance of calculating arcsin(sin√5)?

Calculating arcsin(sin√5) can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as finding the angle of elevation in a right triangle or solving equations involving trigonometric functions. It can also help in understanding the relationship between inverse trigonometric functions and their corresponding trigonometric functions.