Are these two shapes topologically same

• Thread starter n.karthick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shapes
In summary, the conversation discusses the topological equivalence of a circle and a circle with a line attached to it. The participants debate whether the two shapes are topologically the same and consider the concepts of homotopy and homeomorphism. They also discuss the idea of "sameness" in topology and the different equivalence relations that can be used to analyze topological properties. Finally, there is a discussion about the preservation of trajectories in topological isomorphisms.
n.karthick
Consider the two shapes circle and circle with a line attached it. (Figure is attached) Are they topologically same?. As far as I know if we bend, stretch a shape and attain another shape both are topologically same.

I feel that circle can be stretched in some way and can be made to a circle with line. So both should be topologically same. But textbook says both are not.

I am confused. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• topodoubt.pdf
    11.1 KB · Views: 301
Physics news on Phys.org
You can bend and you can stretch, but you cannot break. How do you get from the circle to the circle with line without breaking?

They are homotopy equivalent but not homeomorphic.

quasar987 said:
You can bend and you can stretch, but you cannot break. How do you get from the circle to the circle with line without breaking?
Ohh i missed something. Circle should be thought of line with infinitesimal width right?. Otherwise it will be a doughnut!
So a doughnut and circle with line are topologically same Am i right?

I am new to this. I don't have any idea of homotopy or homeomorphic. Many many new terms are coming here.

Further I don't find still any textbook which could bring differences between various spaces with examples for easy understanding. ( topological spaces, metric space, normed vector spaces and inner product spaces). Mostly mathematical definitions can be find everywhere. What i like to see is teaching through examples. For example say something which belong to normed vector space and not metric space and which belong to normed vector product space and not inner product space . Such examples will be of immense help in understanding easily the classifications of spaces and their mathematical definitions.
Can anyone suggest some learning material for understanding topological spaces for a beginner like me?

Yes, a circle has no width.

A doughnut and a doughnut with line (not a circle with line) are topologically the same (if you consider that the "line" too has some width.

As a general rule, something that has 1 dimension (i.e. something that has just length) and something that has more than 1 dimension (ex: something that has length and width) are not topologically the same.

One way to see this is imagine that you have a doughnut made out of silly putty. If it is topologically the same as a circle, then you should be able to maneuver (stretch and bend, but not break) the silly doughnut and deform it into a circle, which is clearly impossible, since objects of 1 dimension do not exist in our world.

Two objects are said to be homeomorphic if they are topologically equivalent. It is a synonym.

Try deleting any point from the circle. Is it connected? Is the same true for the second figure?

There is no part of the circle that is homeomorphic to the cross point of the line and circle. But you need to prove this.

the idea of "same" in topology has many meanings. Each refers to an equivalence relation. You seemed to be referring to the equivalence relation of homeomorphism but there are others. For instance two spaces may be considered the same if they have the same homotopy type or if one is a strong deformation retract of the other. each of these relations isolates topological properties that the spaces have in common and allows analysis of these properties while avoiding the other properties of the spaces.

Topological isomorphisms should preserve the number of distinct approach trajectories that any point has..

cesiumfrog said:
Topological isomorphisms should preserve the number of distinct approach trajectories that any point has..
I'd be interested to see a mathematical definition of that last part that holds for any topological space.

Maybe I'm wrong. But for any isomorphism, there will be a specific one-to-one identification of points in one space to points in the other. Preserving topology means statements about open sets will be unaffected. Perhaps you would define a trajectory as any open set that has the given point on its boundary (i.e., every trajectory includes points from any open set containing the point, but no trajectory contains the point). Now, at the three way intersection point, we can easily find three nonoverlapping sets such that: each trajectory overlaps one of these three, and each of the three has a trajectory that overlaps neither of the others. But for any point on a line or circumference a contradictory property holds (ie. the same property except with pairs of sets, never triplets), so they cannot be topologically equivalent.

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric figures that are unchanged by stretching, twisting, or bending. It focuses on the relationships between points, lines, and shapes rather than their specific measurements or dimensions.

2. How do you determine if two shapes are topologically the same?

To determine if two shapes are topologically the same, we can use a technique called homeomorphism. This involves finding a continuous function that can transform one shape into the other without cutting, tearing, or gluing. If such a function exists, then the two shapes are considered topologically equivalent.

3. What is the difference between topologically equivalent and identical?

Two shapes can be topologically equivalent even if they have different sizes, orientations, or positions in space. This means that their overall structure and properties are the same, but they may look different. On the other hand, identical shapes must have the exact same size, shape, and position in space.

4. Can two shapes with different numbers of holes be topologically the same?

Yes, two shapes with different numbers of holes can be topologically the same. For example, a donut (with one hole) and a coffee mug (with one handle hole and one drinking hole) are topologically equivalent because they can both be transformed into a sphere without cutting, tearing, or gluing.

5. How is topology used in real-world applications?

Topology has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, biology, and computer science. It is used to study the properties of materials, networks, and biological systems. In computer science, topology is used in image and data processing, computer graphics, and machine learning algorithms.