Gravitational potential energy = kinetic energy question

In summary, the question asks for the speed of a bobsled passing a second timing location, given its initial speed and height. The correct solution is to use the general version of mechanical energy conservation, which results in a final speed of 8.2m/s.
vf_one
Hi

I'm just going over some revision questions and there's this one question where I'm not sure if my working is correct (we don't get given the answers).

Homework Statement

A bobsled is moving at 3m/s as it passes a timing location. It then descends through a height of 3m before passing the next timing location. Assuming that friction and air resistance can be neglected, what is the speed of the bobsled as it passes the second timing location

2. The attempt at a solution

Ep=Ek
mgh=1/2mv2
v2=2gh

v=7.668m/s

Speed of bobsled passing second timing location = 3 + 7.668 = 10m/s

I'm not too sure if it is right to add 'v' with the initial speed of 3m/s. If anyone can clarify this for me that would be great.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
vf_one said:
I'm not too sure if it is right to add 'v' with the initial speed of 3m/s.
No, it's not correct.

Instead of using Ep = Ek, use the more general version of mechanical energy conservation:
Ep1 + Ek1 = Ep2 + Ek2

Hey Doc_Al

Thanks for your help :biggrin:

So would this be correct then?

Ep1+Ek1 = Ek2 + Ep2

1/2 x 32 + 9.8 x 3 = 1/2 x v2
v = 8.2m/s

vf_one said:
So would this be correct then?

Ep1+Ek1 = Ek2 + Ep2

1/2 x 32 + 9.8 x 3 = 1/2 x v2
v = 8.2m/s
Exactly! :approve:

Thank you so much for your help! :shy:

1. What is the equation for gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy?

The equation for gravitational potential energy is E = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. The equation for kinetic energy is E = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

2. How are gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy related?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are related because when an object is lifted to a certain height, it gains gravitational potential energy. As the object falls, it converts this potential energy into kinetic energy.

3. Can an object have both gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy at the same time. For example, a ball that is thrown upwards has both gravitational potential energy at the highest point of its trajectory and kinetic energy as it falls back towards the ground.

4. Is the amount of gravitational potential energy equal to the amount of kinetic energy?

In a closed system, the amount of gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are equal. However, in real-world situations, some energy may be lost due to factors such as air resistance, so the amounts may not be exactly equal.

5. How does mass and height affect the amount of gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy?

The amount of gravitational potential energy is directly proportional to the mass and height of an object. The greater the mass and height, the more potential energy an object will have. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is directly proportional to the mass but is not affected by height.