How can I teach myself more advanced math?

In summary, The individual is new to posting on forums but has been lurking for a few months. They are 16 and looking to teach themselves math. They are interested in learning new concepts and ideas and are asking for advice on how to get started and if there are any good websites to use. The expert recommends starting with a college calculus book by Stewart and a linear algebra book by David C. Lay. If these books are understood, the individual can then move onto more advanced topics such as Real Analysis and more general algebras.
RaNKiN
Hi everyone. I'm new posting to these forums, although I have been lurking for the past couple of months.

My question is simple: How can I teach myself math?

I am 16, and love learning new concepts and ideas regarding math. What is the best way to start out, and are there any good websites which I can work through?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would start by grabbing a college calculus book and linear algebra book.

Calculus by Stewart is a good start for calculus
Linear Algebra by David C. Lay is a good start for Linear Algebra

If you can understand these books then you can start to move onto more advanced topics like Real Analysis and more general algebras.

1. How do I know if I am ready to learn more advanced math?

The best way to determine if you are ready to learn more advanced math is to assess your understanding of basic math concepts. If you have a strong foundation in basic math skills such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, you are likely ready to tackle more advanced topics.

2. What resources are available for teaching myself more advanced math?

There are many resources available for self-teaching advanced math, including textbooks, online courses, and educational websites. You can also seek out tutors or join study groups to help guide your learning.

3. How much time should I dedicate to learning more advanced math?

The amount of time you should dedicate to learning more advanced math depends on your learning style and the complexity of the topics you are studying. It is recommended to set aside at least 1-2 hours per day for studying and practicing problems.

4. How can I stay motivated while teaching myself more advanced math?

One way to stay motivated while teaching yourself more advanced math is to set specific goals for yourself and track your progress. Another helpful tip is to take breaks and reward yourself after completing challenging tasks.

5. Are there any specific study techniques or strategies for learning more advanced math?

Some effective study techniques for learning more advanced math include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, practicing regularly, and seeking help when needed. It may also be helpful to find real-world applications for the math concepts you are learning to better understand their relevance.