Chemistry Homework: Second Order Rate Equation and Calculating Rate Constant

In summary, The conversation discusses determining whether a reaction is first or second order and calculating the rate constant with units provided. The chart provided shows varying concentrations of A over time. The Wikipedia page on rate equations is mentioned but it is determined that this is not a simple first or second order reaction. The suggestion is made to try the method of "half life reaction" to determine the order.
jim Wang

Homework Statement

Is this first or second order rate? Calculate the rate constant and be certain to give its units.
A-->products
Chart
A (mM) / Time
1 / 0
.5 / 11
.25 / 20
.1 / 48
.05 / 105

Homework Equations

Well wikipedia has both the first and second order integrated reactions there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_equation

but I have a feeling that this is some sort of weird rate reaction.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first glance it looks like a second order rate but If I plug in in an attempt to find k none of the K values match. I also tried a first order reaction and that didn't work as well. Also due to the fact that the first three concentrations go down by half and the time is not consistent it is most likely not a simple first order exponential decay. You just need to trust me that plugging the times into the regular second order rate equation does not come out with a homogeneous rate constant.

Well thanks guys in advanced I'm stumped.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can try the method of "half life reaction" it will give a n order (numeric)

What is a chemistry rate reaction?

A chemistry rate reaction is a process in which the concentration of reactants changes over time, resulting in a change in the concentration of products. This rate of change is affected by various factors such as temperature, concentration, and the presence of a catalyst.

How is the rate of a chemical reaction determined?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be determined by measuring the change in concentration of either the reactants or the products over a specific period of time. This can be done by using a spectrophotometer, titration, or other analytical techniques.

What factors affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be affected by several factors including temperature, concentration of reactants, the presence of a catalyst, and the surface area of reactants. Increasing the temperature, concentration, and surface area can usually increase the rate of the reaction, while the presence of a catalyst can speed up the reaction without being consumed in the process.

What is a reaction rate constant?

A reaction rate constant is a proportionality constant that relates the rate of a chemical reaction to the concentrations of the reactants. It is specific to a particular reaction at a given temperature and is used in the rate law equation to calculate the rate of the reaction.

How can the rate of a chemical reaction be altered?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be altered by changing the factors that affect it, such as temperature, concentration, and the presence of a catalyst. Additionally, changing the reaction conditions, such as the pH or the type of solvent, can also impact the rate of the reaction.