Should we be shipping radioactive waste through the Great Lakes?

In summary, critics are attacking Canada's plan to ship 16,000 tonnes of radioactive waste across the Great Lakes and over the ocean to Sweden. They believe that the risks of transporting and storing the waste are being underestimated. However, others argue that the steam generators containing the waste are not located in the core of the reactor and are subject to decontamination before being shipped. The most significant sources of radiation from activated steel are Co-60 and Co-58, which can be mitigated by using low Co stainless steel. Despite concerns, supporters of the plan believe that nuclear technology can greatly benefit society.
encorp
http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Critics+attack+plan+ship+tonnes+radioactive+waste+across+Great+Lakes/3591392/story.html

Hey, I apologize if this is posted elsewhere - I tried a search and nothing came up.

I've been following this story about Canada's decision to ship radioactive waste through the great lakes and over the ocean to Sweden.

I personally believe a lot of people are naive about our ability to control and contain nuclear waste and I think the groups who are trying to stop this are over reacting completely.

What do you guys think? Is this something we should be doing or not, and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
With a statement like "Edwards also said the generators contain 15 per cent plutonium and other man-made materials with high toxicity," it is safe to say that Edwards is making this stuff up, and he's a nut. There's not even 15% Pu in the fuel!

The steam generators are not in the core. They do however get some surface contamination because they pick up corrosion particles that do get activated, or they might collect some minute fuel particles if there are fuel failures. However, utilities are required to decontaminate surfaces before they can ship offsite.

The Swedes can further decontaminate the material and recycle the non-radioactive steel components.

I agree with Astronuc that the part of Pu in the steam generators sounds like a bunch of hot air, or some horribly erroneous information. Also I believe the steam generators is just another word for the heat exchangers between the hot and cold side loops. Isn't Co-60 the nastiest thing in the steel from neutron activation?

I believe Co-60 and Co-58 are the most significant sources of radiation from activitated steel. But the comes from steel in a neutron flux/field. Also, the nuclear industry adopted low Co stainless steels (less than 300 ppm Co) in order to mitigate the formation of Co-60. Co-58 comes from activation of Ni via an (n,p) reaction.
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/reCenter.jsp?z=27&n=32 (select zoom 1)

The schematics of the CANDU show that the steam generator is outside of the core, where the neutron field falls off dramatically.
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf32.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANDU_reactor

Parts of steam generator is exposed to the reactor coolant which can transport activated corrosion products to the inlet plenum, tubing and outlet plenum. However, like PWR utilities, CANDU operators do a decontamination which basically removes the contaminated surface. The contamination is collected on filters and sent to an appropriate site for disposal.

Awesome guys; thanks for your replies.

I find it frustrating how naive and limited the general publics knowledge of this stuff is, considering Nuclear -anything- could really stand to help civilization a lot right now. heh.

It's sort of scary then, how off-base this Edwards guy is, considering the organization he's apparently head of. @_@

1. What is radioactive waste?

Radioactive waste is any material that contains radioactive elements and is no longer useful for its original purpose. This can include materials used in nuclear power plants, medical facilities, and research laboratories.

2. How is radioactive waste shipped?

Radioactive waste is typically shipped in specialized containers that are designed to safely transport and contain the waste. These containers are heavily shielded and may have multiple layers of protection to prevent radiation from escaping.

3. What are the safety precautions taken when shipping radioactive waste?

When shipping radioactive waste, strict safety precautions are taken to minimize the risk of exposure to radiation. This can include using specialized containers, following specific transport routes, and having trained personnel handle the waste.

4. How is the transportation of radioactive waste regulated?

The transportation of radioactive waste is heavily regulated by various international organizations, such as the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and national regulatory bodies. These regulations ensure that proper safety measures are followed and that the waste is transported in a secure and responsible manner.

5. What happens to radioactive waste after it is shipped?

After radioactive waste is shipped, it is typically stored in a designated facility until it can be properly disposed of. This can include long-term storage or disposal in a geological repository. The waste may also undergo treatment processes to reduce its volume and level of radioactivity.