Implicit Function Theorem Question

In summary, Implicit Function Theorem states that a curve in the plane defined by an equation like f(x,y)=0, is "smooth", i.e. looks like a graph near each point, either of y(x) or of x(y).
Buri
Implicit Function Theorem
I've been having a lot of trouble understanding the statement of the theorem and its proof, so I would like to see if I did the following question below correctly.

The problem

Let f : R² → R be given by f(x,y,z) = sin(xyz) + e^[2x + y(z - 1)]. Show that the level set {f = 1} can be solved as x = x(y,z) near (0,0,0) and compute ∂x/∂y (0,0) and ∂x/∂z (0,0).

SOLUTION!

Let G(x,y,z) = f(x,y,z) - 1 and note that G(0,0,0) = 0.

DG = [yzcos(xyz) + e^[2x + y(z - 1)]; xzcos(xyz) + (z - 1)e^[2x + y(z - 1)]; xycos(xyz) + e^[2x + y(z - 1)]; 1 x 3 matrix

I have ∂G/∂x = yzcos(xyz) + 2e^[2x + y(z - 1)]. Now at (0,0,0) I have it equal to 1 and hence the determinant is nonzero, so I can apply the Implicit Function Theorem.

So Dx(0,0) = -[∂G/∂x]^(-1) ⋅ [∂G/∂(y,z)] = -[1]^(-1) ⋅ [-1 1] = [1 -1]

Therefore, ∂x/∂y (0,0) = 1 and ∂x/∂z (0,0) = -1.

Is this all right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Munkres has f: R^k x R^n → R^n, and then writes f as f(x,y) where x ∈ R^k and y ∈R^n and then goes on to solve for y in terms of the x. However, this isn't as general as one could be, so this is what's been confusing me, but I think I have finally understood it (hopefully). So if anyone could verify whether what I did above is right or wrong would be great. Thanks!

An explanation of the entire theorem and maybe with a more complicated (i.e. not the cliche unit circle lol) example would be nice as well!

try these notes from my riemann surfaces/algebraic curves class. the point is the implicit function theorem tells you when a curve in the plane defined by an equation like f(x,y)=0, is "smooth", i.e. looks like a graph near each point, either of y(x) or of x(y).

I.e. it tells you when a small nbhd of a point on the curve can be projected isomorphically onto either the y or axis. E.g. the IFT fails at the mid point of a figure eight, but holds near every other point.

start reading the day 1-3 notes on page 3.

Attachments

• 8320sp2010.day1-3.pdf
    176.6 KB · Views: 313
  • 8320sp2010.day9.pdf
    137.1 KB · Views: 215
Thanks for the links. I'll read them...and I hadn't thought of it like that "it tells you when a small nbhd of a point on the curve can be projected isomorphically onto either the y or x-axis" :)

yeah, if ∂f/ƒy is not zero it projects locally isomorphically ointo the x axis, i.e. locally it is a function of x, i.e. locally each point is determined by its x coordinate, and vice versa.

my notes help explain how to remember this, which sounds backwards. The point is that if z = f(x,y) and ∂z/∂y is not zero, then z and y are invertible functions of each other, i.e. they are interchangeable, so instead of x and y, we could use x and z as coordinates.

then y=0, the x axis, gets mapped isomorphically into the set z=0, i.e. f(x,y) = 0, the curve. i.e. locally the curve is isomorphic to the x-axis when ∂f/ƒy is non zero.

oh well i guess it is still confusing.

1. What is the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is a mathematical tool used to solve equations in which one variable cannot be easily expressed in terms of the others. It states that under certain conditions, a relation between several variables can be converted into an equation involving only one of the variables.

2. What are the conditions for the Implicit Function Theorem to hold?

The Implicit Function Theorem requires that the equation be continuously differentiable, that is, its derivatives exist and are continuous. Additionally, the partial derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable must not be equal to zero at the point in question.

3. How is the Implicit Function Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Implicit Function Theorem has many applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to solve optimization problems, model relationships between variables, and analyze systems with multiple variables.

4. Can the Implicit Function Theorem be applied to nonlinear equations?

Yes, the Implicit Function Theorem can be applied to nonlinear equations as long as they fulfill the conditions mentioned in the first question. However, in some cases, the resulting equation may not have a unique solution.

5. What is the connection between the Implicit Function Theorem and the Inverse Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem and the Inverse Function Theorem are closely related. The Implicit Function Theorem can be seen as a generalization of the Inverse Function Theorem, in which the function is not explicitly given but rather defined implicitly. Both theorems involve finding a function that relates one set of variables to another, but the Implicit Function Theorem applies when the relation is given implicitly rather than explicitly.