Simple harmonic oscillator general solution

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the general solution of the equation of motion for a force -kx and the use of complex numbers in the solution. It is stated that C1 and C2 must be complex in order for the solution to be general and satisfy the initial conditions. The idea of restricting the arbitrary constants to real values is discussed, but it is mentioned that this limits the generality of the solution. Finally, the concept of using a mix of complex and hyper-complex numbers to make x(t) real is brought up.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In my mechanics textbook is given an exemple of how to find the general solution of the of the equation of motion for a force -kx (the simple harmonic oscillator problem).

He begin his analysis and finds that e^(iwt) and e^(-iwt) are both solutions. Hence C1*e^(iwt) and C2*e^(-iwt) are also solutions and therefor C1*e^(iwt) + C2*e^(-iwt) is also a solution and since it SEEMS to have 2 arbitrary constants in it, it could be the general solution. He then says that C1 and C2 MUST be complex in order for this to be the general solution.

I'm guessing he's implying that if C1 and C2 are both real, then we can show that C1*e^(iwt) + C2*e^(-iwt) turns out to have really just ONE arbitrary constant in it.

Now let's try to do that.

C1*e^(iwt) + C2*e^(-iwt)

= C1*[cos(wt) + isin(wt)] + C2*[cos(-wt) + isin(-wt)]

= C1*[cos(wt) + isin(wt)] + C2*[cos(wt) - isin(wt)] (because cos(-x) = cos(x) and sin(-x) = -sin(x))

= C1*cos(wt) + C1*isin(wt) + C2*cos(wt) - C2*isin(wt)

= [C1 + C2]cos(wt) + [C1 - C2]isin(wt)

= C3*cos(wt) + C4*isin(wt)

And this is two arbitrary constants.

Does anyone sees the flaw... or has another idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:

C1*e^(iwt) + C2*e^(-iwt)

= ...

= [C1 + C2]cos(wt) + [C1 - C2]isin(wt)

= C3*cos(wt) + C4*isin(wt)

And this is two arbitrary constants.

Does anyone sees the flaw... or has another idea?

C1 and C2 should be complex numbers so as to make the solution real and to satisfy the initial conditions. If C1 and C2 are real, the solution can be real only if C4 =C1-C2=0 therefore only one arbitrary constant remains for two initial conditions.

ehild

I think I understand.

OK, so strictly mathematically speaking, the statement that C1 and C2 are elements of R do NOT make for a general solution of the d.e. is WRONG. Any C1, C2 elements of the sedenions and beyond make up for a solution.

But BECAUSE this equation represents a physical phenomenon, we are INTERESTED (the keyword missing in my textbook) only in those C1 and C2 that make x(t) REAL. And for that to be so, not only must C1 and C2 be complex, they must also be the complex conjugate of each other.

Is that what you are saying?

quasar987 said:
I think I understand.

OK, so strictly mathematically speaking, the statement that C1 and C2 are elements of R do NOT make for a general solution of the d.e. is WRONG. Any C1, C2 elements of the sedenions and beyond make up for a solution.

But BECAUSE this equation represents a physical phenomenon, we are INTERESTED (the keyword missing in my textbook) only in those C1 and C2 that make x(t) REAL. And for that to be so, not only must C1 and C2 be complex, they must also be the complex conjugate of each other.

You're overlooking the basic fact that the functions you have chosen for your fundamental solutions are themselves complex and by restricting the arbitrary constants to real values you have excluded almost all possible solutions of the differential equation, i.e. you have lost generality.

quasar987 said:

Yes.

ehild

Out of curiosity, are there C1 and C2 elements of the quaternions or some higher hyper-complex set that can make it so x(t) turn out real? Or maybe C1 elements of the complex and C2 element of the quaternions or some other mix?

Last edited:

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits a repetitive motion back and forth around a central equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from that point.

2. What is the general solution for a simple harmonic oscillator?

The general solution for a simple harmonic oscillator is represented by the equation x(t) = A sin(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement at time t, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. How is the angular frequency related to the mass and spring constant in a simple harmonic oscillator?

The angular frequency (ω) is related to the mass (m) and spring constant (k) in a simple harmonic oscillator through the equation ω = √(k/m). This means that for a larger mass or stiffer spring, the angular frequency will be smaller and the oscillations will occur at a slower rate.

4. Can the simple harmonic oscillator equation be applied to other systems besides a mass on a spring?

Yes, the simple harmonic oscillator equation can be applied to other systems besides a mass on a spring, as long as the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. Some examples include a pendulum, a vibrating string, and an LC circuit.

5. How is the energy of a simple harmonic oscillator related to its amplitude and frequency?

The energy of a simple harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude and its frequency. This means that a larger amplitude or higher frequency will result in a greater amount of energy being stored in the system.