How to get probability from a normal distribution?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the probability of Z<=1 when Z=Y^3 and Y is a standard normal distribution. It is mentioned that for odd powers, the constant of interest must be taken to the appropriate root. It is also stated that the pdf graph for Y^3 can be plotted by changing the X coordinates to Y^(1/3) and replotting to be linear in Y.
sneaky666
If I had Z=Y^3 where Y is a standard normal distribution. How would I approx. calculate the probability of Z<=1 ?, I would understand it if it was Z=Y^2 which is chi-square...

Physics news on Phys.org
P(Z ≤ 1)=P(Y ≤ 1). In general for odd powers, you just need to take the appropriate root of the constant of interest.

well i have to do P(Y<=1) = P(X^3<=1) = P(X<=1), and since X ~N(0,1), so I can just look in the book for the standard normal distribution values
which is just 0.84134, is that right?
By the way out of curiosity how would the pdf graph look for Y^3 ?

I assume you meant X^3 = Y. Plot pdf for normal distribution. Change X coordinates to Y^(1/3) and replot to be linear in Y.

To calculate the probability of Z<=1, we can use the cumulative distribution function (CDF) of a standard normal distribution. The CDF represents the probability that a random variable falls below a certain value.

In this case, we can use the CDF of Y to calculate the probability of Z<=1. Since Y is a standard normal distribution, we can use a table or a statistical software to find the CDF value for Y=1. This value represents the probability that Y is less than or equal to 1.

Next, we can use the formula P(Z<=1) = P(Y^3<=1) = P(Y<=1^(1/3)) = P(Y<=1), since 1^(1/3) = 1. This means that the probability of Z<=1 is equal to the probability of Y<=1, which we calculated in the previous step.

Therefore, to approximate the probability of Z<=1, we can use the CDF value for Y=1 that we found earlier. This approach can be used for any value of Z that is a function of Y, as long as Y is a standard normal distribution.

1. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a type of probability distribution that is commonly used to model real-world data. It is bell-shaped and symmetrical, with the majority of the data falling within one standard deviation of the mean.

2. How do you calculate the probability from a normal distribution?

To calculate the probability from a normal distribution, you need to know the mean and standard deviation of the data set. You can then use a mathematical formula or a statistical table to find the probability of a specific value or range of values occurring within the distribution.

3. How is the normal distribution used in statistics?

The normal distribution is used in statistics to describe and analyze continuous data that follows a bell-shaped pattern. It is commonly used in hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, and many other statistical analyses.

4. Can the normal distribution be used for any type of data?

No, the normal distribution is most appropriate for continuous data that follows a bell-shaped pattern. It should not be used for categorical or discrete data.

5. What is the significance of the mean and standard deviation in a normal distribution?

The mean and standard deviation are important parameters of a normal distribution as they determine the shape, center, and spread of the data. The mean represents the center of the distribution, while the standard deviation indicates how much the data is spread out from the mean.