Simple Electron Guns - Sources & Vacuum Storage Solutions

In summary, the conversation is about someone in need of a small electron gun for their device, but they are having trouble finding a good source. They have tried using a TV CRT gun, but it doesn't last in atmospheric conditions. The person has googled "electron gun buy" and received some potential options, but the only supplier they found is Kimball Physics, which may be too expensive for their budget. They are still waiting on a quote from them.
AuroraIndust
Does anyone know of a good source for small electron guns? Just a simple one. I was using a TV CRT gun but the filaments don't last when exposed to atmosphere. I obviously operate under vacuum but I have no way to store my device in a vacuum for a long period.

Engineering news on Phys.org
AuroraIndust said:
Does anyone know of a good source for small electron guns? Just a simple one. I was using a TV CRT gun but the filaments don't last when exposed to atmosphere. I obviously operate under vacuum but I have no way to store my device in a vacuum for a long period.

I googled electron gun buy, and got some reasonable hits. See if any would work for you:

http://www.google.com/search?source...8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=electron+gun+buy

The only supplier of them that I found was Kimball Physics, however those seem to be more complicated and advanced guns, which are most likely out of my ~500$ price range. I haven't received a quote from them as of now.

1. What is a simple electron gun?

A simple electron gun is a device that produces a beam of electrons that can be used for various applications, such as in television and computer displays, particle accelerators, and electron microscopes. It typically consists of a cathode, which emits electrons, and an anode, which accelerates and focuses the electrons into a narrow beam.

2. How does a simple electron gun work?

A simple electron gun works by applying a high voltage between the cathode and anode. This creates an electric field that causes electrons to flow from the cathode to the anode, forming a beam. The anode is usually shaped in a way that focuses the electrons into a narrow beam, and additional components, such as magnetic fields, may be used to further control and guide the beam.

3. What are the sources used in simple electron guns?

The most common source used in simple electron guns is a heated filament, also known as a thermionic emitter. Other sources may include photocathodes, which use light to release electrons, and field emission sources, which use high electric fields to extract electrons.

4. What are the vacuum storage solutions for simple electron guns?

Because electrons are highly susceptible to interactions with air molecules, simple electron guns require a vacuum environment for proper operation. This is typically achieved by using a vacuum chamber and pumps to remove air molecules. Other solutions may include using getter materials, which absorb residual gases, and using cryogenic temperatures to reduce the number of air molecules.

5. What are some common applications of simple electron guns?

Simple electron guns have a wide range of applications, including in television and computer displays, where they are used to create images by manipulating the electron beam onto a phosphor-coated screen. They are also used in electron microscopes to produce magnified images of small objects and in particle accelerators to generate and manipulate beams of charged particles for research purposes.