What did the January 4th, 2010 eclipse look like?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse
In summary, an eclipse is when one celestial body passes in front of another, blocking its light from reaching Earth. The eclipse on January 4th, 2010 was significant because it was a rare annular solar eclipse, visible in parts of Asia, Africa, the Indian Ocean, and Australia. The difference between a total and annular eclipse is that a total eclipse completely covers the sun, while an annular eclipse leaves a ring of sunlight visible around the edges. Eclipses occur regularly, with at least two solar and two lunar eclipses happening each year, but visibility varies depending on location.
Borek
Mentor
I have already posted the picture in the photography thread, but I will add another here:

eclipse20110104'.jpg

eclipse20110104.jpg

It was cloudy (still is, and the eclipse didn't end yet) which helped, as without clouds I doubt I could take the picture. EOS and long lens, pictures are slightly cropped (so the angular size of the Sun is a little bit different).

Dots on the first picture look like a dirt, no idea what they are as they are not visible on the second one.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
e3bb0d28fa1e910f2bb12fcb53773638.gif

dbc7a100073cf7dbb118fac91df8dcd3.gif

and these are my images of eclipse - 45% - Iran

Hi! New to the forums, i'll post some pics from the eclipse here :P
PRCDSC_1078_12.jpg

1. What is an eclipse?

An eclipse occurs when one celestial body, such as the moon, passes in front of another, such as the sun, blocking its light from reaching the Earth.

2. Why is the eclipse on January 4th, 2010 significant?

This eclipse is significant because it was a rare annular solar eclipse, meaning the moon was at its farthest distance from Earth and appeared smaller, creating a "ring of fire" effect.

3. Where can the eclipse be seen?

The January 4th, 2010 eclipse was visible in parts of Asia, Africa, the Indian Ocean, and Australia.

4. What is the difference between a total and annular eclipse?

A total eclipse occurs when the moon completely covers the sun, while an annular eclipse occurs when the moon only covers the center of the sun, leaving a ring of sunlight visible around the edges.

5. How often do eclipses occur?

Eclipses occur fairly regularly, with at least two solar eclipses and two lunar eclipses happening each year. However, not all eclipses are visible from every location on Earth.