Nobody can solve my Nuclear Reactor Physics Question? me

In summary, the conversation is about a Nuclear Reactor Physics question where the fission rate and temperature of a BWR core are given and the question is to find the fission rate at the same location if the temperature is raised. The hint given is to consider the non-1/v cross-section and the equation Ra=ga(T)Σa(E0)Φ0. The individual asking for help has already tried solving the problem but is unsure how to use temperature in the solution. The expert advises them to consider ga(T) and to assume the flux and energy spectrum are the same.
cimgo1903
nobody can solve my Nuclear Reactor Physics Question? please help me!

In the centre of the core of a 1000 MWe BWR, the observed fission rate is 1.7×1012 cm-3 s-1 and the observed temperature of the fuel is 800 oC. What will be the fission rate at the same location if the temperature is raised to 1000 oC? (Hint, Σf is a non- 1/v cross-section.)

Rx(r,E,t) = Σx(r,E) v n(r,E,t) i don't know it is the right way or not. for non-1/v cross section:
Ra=ga(T)Σa(E00

and i don't know how can i use temperature for this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You should show some of your own work before expecting help here. What equations might be relevant to the solution? What have you tried so far that hasn't worked?

cimgo1903 said:
In the centre of the core of a 1000 MWe BWR, the observed fission rate is 1.7×1012 cm-3 s-1 and the observed temperature of the fuel is 800 oC. What will be the fission rate at the same location if the temperature is raised to 1000 oC? (Hint, Σf is a non- 1/v cross-section.)

Rx(r,E,t) = Σx(r,E) v n(r,E,t) i don't know it is the right way or not. for non-1/v cross section:
Ra=ga(T)Σa(E00

and i don't know how can i use temperature for this problem?
Consider ga(T).

Assume the flux and energy spectrum are the same. Then consider ga(800 °C) and ga(1000 °C).

ı' ve already done it . Thank you for you atteniton

I understand that nuclear reactor physics is a very complex and specialized field of study. It is not surprising that you are having difficulty finding someone who can solve your specific question. However, I am here to assist you in any way I can.

Firstly, I would suggest seeking help from a nuclear physicist or a nuclear engineering expert. They would have the necessary knowledge and understanding to solve your question accurately.

As for your specific question, it is important to note that the fission rate at a given location in a nuclear reactor core is dependent on several factors, including the neutron flux, the cross-section of the fuel, and the temperature of the fuel. In this case, the temperature of the fuel is being increased from 800 oC to 1000 oC, and we are looking for the corresponding change in fission rate at the same location in the core.

To solve this, we can use the formula for non-1/v cross-section, which takes into account the temperature dependence of the cross-section. This formula is Ra=ga(T)Σa(E0)Φ0, where Ra is the reaction rate, ga(T) is the temperature-dependent factor, Σa(E0) is the cross-section at a reference energy, and Φ0 is the neutron flux.

To calculate the fission rate at the new temperature, we need to know the temperature-dependent factor, ga(T), which can be obtained from experimental data or from theoretical calculations. Once we have this factor, we can plug it into the formula along with the other known values (Σa(E0) and Φ0) to calculate the new fission rate.

In conclusion, while I am unable to provide you with a specific numerical answer without more information, I hope this explanation and formula can guide you in finding the solution to your question. Remember, it is always best to seek help from experts in the field for accurate and reliable answers.

1. Can you explain the basics of nuclear reactor physics?

Nuclear reactor physics involves the study of the behavior and properties of nuclear reactors, which are devices used to generate electricity through the process of nuclear fission. This process involves splitting atoms of radioactive materials, releasing energy in the form of heat which is then used to produce electricity.

2. Why is it difficult to solve problems related to nuclear reactor physics?

Nuclear reactor physics is a complex and multi-disciplinary field that requires a deep understanding of physics, mathematics, and engineering principles. Additionally, the highly radioactive nature of nuclear reactors makes it challenging to perform experiments and gather data, making theoretical calculations and simulations the primary means of analysis.

3. How do you approach solving a nuclear reactor physics question?

To solve a nuclear reactor physics question, a scientist will first analyze the given problem and determine which physical principles and equations are relevant. They will then use mathematical techniques such as differential equations and numerical methods to solve the problem and obtain a solution. The solution is then compared to known data and experimental results to ensure accuracy.

4. What are some common challenges faced in solving nuclear reactor physics problems?

One of the main challenges in solving nuclear reactor physics problems is the high level of complexity and the need for advanced mathematical and computational tools. Additionally, the vast amount of data and variables involved in nuclear reactor physics can make it challenging to accurately model and predict the behavior of a reactor.

5. How do you stay updated on new developments and advancements in the field of nuclear reactor physics?

As a scientist, it is crucial to stay updated on new developments and advancements in the field of nuclear reactor physics. This can be achieved through attending conferences, reading scientific journals, and collaborating with other scientists in the field. Additionally, being part of professional organizations and participating in ongoing research projects can also help in staying informed about the latest developments in the field.