Region of plane where the solution is uniquely determined

• Thread starter roldy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation with a given initial condition and determining the region in the xy-plane where the solution is uniquely determined. The solution involves characteristic curves and the observation that the solution is uniquely determined everywhere the curves cross the y-axis.
roldy
1. (a) Solve the equation yux+xuy=0 with u(0,y)=e-y2

(b) In which region of the xy-plane is the solution uniquely determined?

2. Homework Equations ...none

3. (a) The characteristic curves of a(x,y)ux+b(x,y)uy=0 are given by dy/dx=b(x,y)/a(x,y)

So according to this, I have dy/dx=x/y
or ydy=xdx

Integrating this I get...1/2y2+c1=1/2x2+c2

Multiplying by 1/2 and absorbing the two constants into one to solve for y yields...

y=+-(x2+c)1/2

General Solution:

u(x,y)=f(y2-x2)

e-y2=u(0,y)=f(y2-02)=f(y2)
e-y2=f(y2)

Let w=y2

y=w1/2

So substitute back in
f(w)=e-(w1/2)2=e-w

Therefore...u(x,y)=e-(y2-x2)=ex2-y2

This is the correct answer

(b) This is where I get confused. How do I sketch the region on the xy-plane that show where the solution is uniquely determined? What does this look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that [tex]u(x,y)[/tex] is even in [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] is important.

Yes, that makes sense. But I still can't picture the graph of this. I need to be able to show on a graph what this looks like.

It's easy to figure out what the 3d graph looks like by making 2d plots for fixed x or y. You can also get a 3d plot at wolframalpha.com.

Ok, I see the plot
[PLAIN]http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP38419e3dddc3c76gi4d000010dg3gf927260efa?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=63&w=200&h=197

By observation I would have to say that the boundary bounded by y=x and y=-x would be the region where the solution is uniquely determined. Is this correct? Or am I missing something? Great site by the way. Thanks for that and your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was missing something. The initial condition defines u on the y-axis, so the solution is uniquely determined everywhere the characteristic curves (contours) cross the y-axis. This seems to agree with your result.

1. What is the "region of plane where the solution is uniquely determined"?

The "region of plane where the solution is uniquely determined" refers to a specific area on a coordinate plane where the solution to a mathematical problem or equation can be determined without any ambiguity or uncertainty.

2. How is this region determined?

This region is determined by the constraints and conditions of the problem or equation. It can also be visualized on a graph as the intersection of two or more lines or curves.

3. Why is it important to identify this region?

Identifying the region of plane where the solution is uniquely determined is important because it ensures that the solution to the problem or equation is accurate and there is no room for error. It also helps to eliminate any extraneous solutions.

4. Can there be multiple regions of plane where the solution is uniquely determined?

Yes, there can be multiple regions where the solution is uniquely determined, especially in more complex problems or equations. In some cases, there may be overlapping regions that all lead to the same solution.

5. How does the concept of a "region of plane where the solution is uniquely determined" apply to real-life situations?

This concept can be applied to various real-life situations, such as finding the optimal solution for a business problem, determining the safe operating range for a machine, or calculating the intersection point of two moving objects. It helps to ensure that the solution is precise and reliable.