Pressure to Force to Mass with English units

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the mass in pound-mass using a dead-weight gauge with a pressure of 3000atm and a piston diameter of 0.17in. The student uses equations involving pressure, force, and gravity to find the mass, but their answer does not match the one given in the book. The issue is likely with their use of the gravitational constant and the difference between pounds-mass and pounds-force.
PassatDream

Homework Statement

A pressure of 3000atm is measured with a dead-weight gauge. The piston diameter is 0.17in. What is the mass in pound-mass (lbm)?

Homework Equations

1) P=F/A
2) F=PA
3) F=mg
4) F/g=m

The Attempt at a Solution

I first used the given diameter to find the cross-sectional area of the piston:
A = ([tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex])(0.17 in[tex]^{2}[/tex]) = 0.023 in[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Then I plugged the newly-found A into eqn. 2 with the given P value plus a conversion factor (atm->psi).

F = (3000atm)([tex]\frac{14.69595 psi}{1 atm}[/tex])(0.023in[tex]^{2}[/tex])

F= 1014.02 lbf

I then used my F value and plugged it into eqn. 4 and used the standard gravitational value (32.174 ft/s^2)for g.

So,

m = [tex]\frac{1014.02lbf}{32.174\frac{ft lbm}{lbf s^{2}}}[/tex] = 31.52 lbm

However, this is not the answer given in the back of the book, which is 1000.7 lbm. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong? I'm assuming it's with my application of the grav. constant, since I still don't really understand it's use in the English system. TIA.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You converted your answer to slugs, not lbm. Personally, I loathe the idea of lbm. In practical use - although not entirely correct - lbf is equivalent to lbm. So, your original numerical answer of 1014 is correct - just different due to rounding in between steps.

slugs! :yuck:

What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the amount of force exerted per unit area. In English units, it is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi).

How do you convert pressure to force?

To convert pressure to force, you can use the formula F = P x A, where F is the force in pounds, P is the pressure in psi, and A is the area in square inches.

What is the relationship between pressure and mass?

Pressure and mass are not directly related, as pressure depends on the force and area while mass depends on the amount of matter in an object. However, pressure can indirectly affect the mass of an object by exerting a force on it.

How do you convert pressure to mass?

Pressure cannot be directly converted to mass, as they are two different physical quantities. However, you can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the mass of a gas under a certain pressure, volume, and temperature.

What are some common units used to measure pressure?

Some common units used to measure pressure in English units include pounds per square inch (psi), pounds per square foot (psf), and atmospheres (atm).