Easy network analysis question about a problem.

In summary: Roger that.. Meaning that I need to keep track of what I assumed and make sure I correct it after a negative value is calculate?
frozenguy

Homework Statement

Thanks for looking/responding!
Using node voltage analysis in the circuit, find the current i through the voltage source

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I know what direction the all the currents are going before I start analyzing each node?
I know 2A is going counter clockwise along the bottom left corner, and i is to the right on the branch as labeled.

ECp34.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
frozenguy said:

Homework Statement

Thanks for looking/responding!
Using node voltage analysis in the circuit, find the current i through the voltage source

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I know what direction the all the currents are going before I start analyzing each node?
I know 2A is going counter clockwise along the bottom left corner, and i is to the right on the branch as labeled.

ECp34.jpg

Hi there frozenguy :smile: I believe it doesn't matter what direction they are going in. Just assume a direction for each current, label your resistor polarities according to your assumptions, and solve. If you get that a particular current comes back as negative, it just means that your assumption was wrong and that the direction os really the opposite.

You dig?

Saladsamurai said:
Hi there frozenguy :smile: I believe it doesn't matter what direction they are going in. Just assume a direction for each current, label your resistor polarities according to your assumptions, and solve. If you get that a particular current comes back as negative, it just means that your assumption was wrong and that the direction os really the opposite.

You dig?

Hi Saladsamurai! Yes I totally dig :tongue:
I was even kind of thinking it may be like that, because I couldn't see how my professor chose them, but I wanted to make sure because my professor doesn't have the best rep around here.
Awesome, thanks Saladsamurai :biggrin:

frozenguy said:
Hi Saladsamurai! Yes I totally dig :tongue:
I was even kind of thinking it may be like that, because I couldn't see how my professor chose them, but I wanted to make sure because my professor doesn't have the best rep around here.
Awesome, thanks Saladsamurai :biggrin:

No problem :smile: Just remember that by assuming current direction you are implicitly making assumptions about polarity and source/sinkage.

Saladsamurai said:
No problem :smile: Just remember that by assuming current direction you are implicitly making assumptions about polarity and source/sinkage.

Roger that..
Meaning that I need to keep track of what I assumed and make sure I correct it after a negative value is calculate?

1. What is network analysis?

Network analysis is a process of examining the relationships between different elements or nodes in a network. It involves identifying patterns and structures within a network to gain insights and make informed decisions.

2. Why is network analysis important?

Network analysis allows us to understand and visualize complex systems, such as social networks, transportation networks, and communication networks. It helps us identify key nodes and their connections, predict behavior, and optimize network efficiency.

3. What is an easy network analysis question?

An easy network analysis question could be: "What is the shortest path between two nodes in a network?" This question involves identifying the nodes and their connections, and using algorithms to find the most efficient path between them.

4. What are some common tools used for network analysis?

There are various tools and software used for network analysis, such as Gephi, Cytoscape, and Pajek. These tools allow for data visualization, network modeling, and analysis of network properties.

5. How can network analysis be applied in different fields?

Network analysis has applications in many fields, including social sciences, biology, computer science, and business. It can be used to study social interactions, analyze biological networks, improve computer networks, and optimize supply chain networks, among others.