Spivak Calculus 3rd Ed. or 2nd Ed.?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of purchasing the 3rd edition of Spivak's "Calculus" textbook and the option to buy the 2nd edition instead. It is mentioned that Spivak does not water down his books and that the 3rd edition may even offer more enhancements by Theodore Shifrin. The conversation also includes recommendations for further self-study after Spivak, such as several variable calculus books including Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds", Courant's volume 2, Fleming's "Calculus of Several Variables", Dieudone's "Foundations of Modern Analysis", and Munkres' "Analysis on Manifolds". It is noted that the 3rd
FutureScience
Spivak "Calculus" 3rd Ed. or 2nd Ed.?

I've found a pretty interesting price for the 3rd Ed. of Spivak "Calculus".

I'm wondering if you suggest me to buy it or to look for the second edition.

My concern is related to the fact that almost every scientific textbook is watered down edition after edition, so in principle, I was considering to buy the 2nd Ed. instead of the 3rd.

What do you suggest me?

Physics news on Phys.org

Spivak never waters his books down. Any edition is great. In fact one of my friends, master teacher Theodore Shifrin, (in the same tradition as Michael Spivak), has made some enhancements to some of the later editions. So in this case they may even offer more.

mathwonk said:
Spivak never waters his books down. Any edition is great. In fact one of my friends, master teacher Theodore Shifrin, (in the same tradition as Michael Spivak), has made some enhancements to some of the later editions. So in this case they may even offer more.

Thank you mathwonk for you quick reply!
In the past weeks I've read many textbooks suggestions from you.

Also for this reason I've bought Hoffman and Kunze textbook and now I'm about to buy Spivak's.

Can I ask you a further suggestion about what to (self)study after Spivak?

I'm an undergraduate student in Aerospace Engineering and I'm focusing on having very solid mathematical basis, with proofs and rigorous demonstrations.
For this reason I dislike many of the most recent math textbooks.

there are several good several variable calc books, including spivak's calculus on manifolds, one of the best but very condensed. Another is volume 2 of courant (old fashioned but excellent), another is calculus of several variables by wendell fleming, another is (only if you handle spivak well) dieudone's foundations of modern analysis. to be honest this last book is a bit over the top in terms of abstractness, so you should supplement it with another source.

Munkres Analysis on Manifolds is another very ood book for several variable calculus. It coverage is similar to Spivaks calculus on manifolds but is over twice as long (this could be good or bad depending on your perspective).

I know for sure the third edition added a chapter or 2 (I know it added the one on planetary motion) and fixed some errors. There's still a few errors that probably got ironed out before the 4th edition, but nothing that shouldn't be too obvious if you reread it after the initial confusion, like a an x where there should be a y or something small like that (except for one, I can't remember what it was, though. Drove me crazy).

edit:
search google, there's a list of the errors in the 3rd edition somewhere I remember coming across.

1. What is the difference between the 3rd edition and the 2nd edition of Spivak Calculus?

The main difference between the two editions is that the 3rd edition includes more examples and exercises, as well as updated material on topics such as multivariable calculus and differential equations. The 2nd edition is still a comprehensive and valuable resource, but the 3rd edition offers more depth and breadth.

2. Is Spivak Calculus suitable for self-study?

Yes, Spivak Calculus is a popular choice for self-study due to its clear explanations and challenging exercises. However, it is recommended to have a solid foundation in single-variable calculus before tackling this text.

3. How does Spivak Calculus compare to other calculus textbooks?

Many students and educators consider Spivak Calculus to be one of the best textbooks for learning calculus. It is known for its rigorous approach, comprehensive coverage of topics, and clear writing style. Some may find it more challenging than other textbooks, but the payoff is a deeper understanding of calculus concepts.

4. Can Spivak Calculus be used for advanced calculus courses?

Yes, Spivak Calculus is often used for advanced calculus courses, including honors and proof-based courses. It covers topics such as multivariable calculus, differential equations, and vector calculus, making it a suitable text for more advanced studies.

5. Are there any online resources available for Spivak Calculus?

Yes, there are several online resources available for Spivak Calculus, including lecture notes, problem solutions, and study guides. These can be found on various educational websites, as well as on the official website for the text.