Missing Chapters in E.T. Jaynes' Probability Theory - Requesting PDFs/PS files

• Thread starter daneel_olivaw
  • Start date
In summary, a new member of the forum is seeking help with a book on probability theory by E.T. Jaynes. They are missing a few chapters and are looking for someone who has them in digital form. The user also compliments another member's username, which is based on a character from Isaac Asimov's books. The original user is disappointed that no one seems to have heard of Jaynes and their book, which they believe has promising applications in scientific inference. Another user suggests that the post may have been better suited for the mathematics forum. Lastly, a graduate student in theoretical physics is seeking a solutions manual for the book.
daneel_olivaw
Hello, everybody

I'm a new member of this forum and I've got a very important question for anybody who knows the book
Probability Theory - The Logic of Science by E.T. Jaynes.

I've got the book of the Internet (I understand there is a printed version) and I'm missing a few chapters. If somebody has them (ps or pdf files), please tell me if you can send them to me. Thank you!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Name

Sorry, don't have the chapters.
But I just wanted to compliment you on your User Name.
He's one of my favorite Asimov characters.

Thank you

Thanks for the compliment, Daneel is my favourite Asimov character, so any time I get the chance, I use his name. Is it copyrighted?

Anyway, I'm very dissapointed, because nobody seems to have heard of Jaynes, and I just started reading his book on probability theory. And, although I'm just at the first few chapters, I think it promises a lot. Especially for scientific inference, which the main application of the theory developed there (It also involves a robot).

Maybe I should have posted this thread on the Mathematics forum.

Thanks anyway

Thanks for the compliment, Daneel is my favourite Asimov character, so any time I get the chance, I use his name. Is it copyrighted?

No, I don't think it's copyrighted because Isaac Asimov is dead.

Maybe I should have posted this thread on the Mathematics forum.

I think its fine in the Theoretical Physics forum because it sounds like it could relate to the Uncertainty Principle.

Jaynes- Probability Theory & Logic of Science

I am a grad student in theoretical physics, working my way through "Probability Theory" all by myself as part of my research. I really like the book, but I am stumped on a couple of the exercises. Is there anyone out there who has compiled a solutions manual?

1. What are the missing chapters in E.T. Jaynes' Probability Theory?

The missing chapters in E.T. Jaynes' Probability Theory are chapters 9, 10, and 11. These chapters were not included in the original publication and were only available in unpublished lecture notes.

2. Why are these chapters missing?

These chapters were not included in the original publication due to various reasons, such as time constraints and the author's preference to focus on the main concepts in the published version.

3. Can I access the missing chapters in any format?

Yes, the missing chapters are available in PDF and PS files, which can be requested from the publisher or found online through various academic databases.

4. How do these missing chapters contribute to the overall understanding of Probability Theory?

The missing chapters provide additional insights and explanations on the concepts and applications of Probability Theory, making it a more comprehensive and thorough resource for researchers and students in the field.

5. Are the missing chapters essential for understanding Probability Theory?

No, the missing chapters are not essential for understanding Probability Theory, as the published version already covers the main concepts and principles. However, they can provide a deeper understanding and further exploration of the subject.