Finding Center and Radius of Circle in Conformal Mapping

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center and radius of a circle using a transformation and solving two problems involving domains and conformal mapping. The solution involves using the inverse transformation and polar coordinates to determine the real and imaginary parts of the mapped circle.
ferry2
Can you tell me is my solution true of the next problem.
Find center [tex]w_0[/tex] and radius [tex]R[/tex] of the circle [tex]k[/tex], in which the transformation [tex]w=\frac{z+2}{z-2}[/tex]
converts the line [tex]l:\text{Im} z+\text{Re} z=0[/tex].

Solution:

[tex]2 \to\infty[/tex]

[tex]-2i=(2)^*\to w_0[/tex]

[tex]w_0=w(-2i)=\frac{-2i+2}{-2i-2}=\frac{1-i}{-1-i}*\frac{-1+i}{-1+i}=i[/tex] - center of [tex]k[/tex]

[tex]0\to \frac{0+2}{0-2}=-1\in k[/tex]

[tex]R=|-1-i|=\sqrt{2}[/tex]

And can you help me with these problems:

1. Find the image of the domain [tex]\left{\begin{array}{ll}\text{Re}>0 \\ \text{Im} >0 \end{array}\right[/tex], cut along the arc [tex]\left{\begin{array}{ll} |z|=1 \\ 0 \le \arg z \le \frac{\pi}{4} \end{array}\right[/tex], by transformation [tex]w=\frac{1}{z^2}[/tex]

2. The domain [tex]\left{\begin{array}{ll} |z-1|<1 \\ |z-\frac{1}{3}|>\frac{1}{3} \end{array}\right[/tex], cut along the segment [tex][1;2][/tex], to display conformal in the stripe [tex]0<\text{Im} w<1[/tex].

Thanks in advansed :) .

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it asking find the cirlce that is mapped to the line under the given transformation?

And the answer to 1. is similar to the map of the inverse transformation, but now the angle has changed.

It might be helpful to think of it as a composition of two operations, inversion, and then squaring. Put z into polar coordinates, and the map should be fairly strightforward

for z=1, then z=e^(i*thetha), so plug into the mapping equation, so you get w in terms of e^(i*thetha), you can do that by getting rid of the bottom by e^(-i*thetha)-2, so you get a real & imaginary part in numerator, and real part in denominator. Thus you get real and imaginary parts and this corresponds to the real and imaginary parts and hence the image of the mapping.. hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the replies. Already handled with these problems :cool:.

1. How do I find the center and radius of a circle in conformal mapping?

To find the center and radius of a circle in conformal mapping, you first need to identify three points on the circle. Then, using the equation z = (a+bi) + (x+yi), where z is the point on the circle and a+bi is the center point, you can solve for the center point. The radius can then be calculated using the distance formula between the center point and any of the three identified points.

2. Can I use conformal mapping to find the center and radius of any circle?

Yes, conformal mapping can be used to find the center and radius of any circle, as long as you have three points on the circle to work with. The method described in the previous answer can be applied to any circle, regardless of its size or position on the complex plane.

3. How is conformal mapping related to complex analysis?

Conformal mapping is a concept in complex analysis that deals with functions that preserve angles and shapes between points. In other words, it is a way to transform a complex plane while maintaining the angles and shapes of objects on that plane. This concept is particularly useful in mapping circles and other geometric shapes.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using conformal mapping to find the center and radius of a circle?

One limitation of conformal mapping is that it only works for circles and other simple geometric shapes. It cannot be used for more complex shapes or irregular curves. Additionally, the method of finding the center and radius may become more complicated for circles with a large radius or that are positioned far from the origin of the complex plane.

5. Can conformal mapping be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, conformal mapping has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze physical phenomena, design electrical circuits, and map financial data, among other uses. However, it is important to note that conformal mapping is just one tool in a scientist's toolkit and may not always provide the most accurate or efficient solution in real-life situations.