Solutions to the problems in Alastair Rae - Quantum Mechanics 5 ed

In summary, the answers and solutions for Alastair's book can only be obtained by instructors, as it is a textbook. However, some textbooks may include solutions for odd or even problems in the back of the book for students to check their work. There may also be some books that offer solution manuals to the general student population, but instructors are aware of this and would not assign graded assignments from those books.
Epitaxi
Hi!

I'm currently reading Alastairs book and would like to try some of the problems that ends each chapter. But where do I get the answers/solutions?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Epitaxi said:
Hi!

I'm currently reading Alastairs book and would like to try some of the problems that ends each chapter. But where do I get the answers/solutions?

Cheers

Instructor solution manuals are only available to instructors. Is there some other set of solutions you have in mind?

berkeman said:
Instructor solution manuals are only available to instructors. Is there some other set of solutions you have in mind?

Not sure if I follow (might be because I'm swedish). I borrowed this book at the campus library so its not a book used in any courses at our library, at least to my knowledge. Are you saying that the answers/solutions can only be obtained if your teaching using this book as course material?

Epitaxi said:
Not sure if I follow (might be because I'm swedish). I borrowed this book at the campus library so its not a book used in any courses at our library, at least to my knowledge. Are you saying that the answers/solutions can only be obtained if your teaching using this book as course material?

For books that are used as textbooks (that's a reason for the problems in each chapter), yes, only instructors are able to get the solution manuals (for obvious reasons). However, many textbooks will show solutions for the odd (or even) problems in the back of the book, for the reason that you are asking about -- so students can check their answers as they do practice problems on their own.

Also, I believe that there are some books that offer solution manuals to the general student population. Instructors know this, so they would not give points-paying assignments from those books. We've had a thread or two about those types of books here on the PF -- I forget what they are called.

!

I would recommend reaching out to the publisher or author directly for access to the solutions to the problems in Alastair Rae's Quantum Mechanics 5th edition. They may have a companion website or resources available for readers to access. Additionally, you could also join online forums or discussion groups related to quantum mechanics to discuss the problems and potential solutions with other readers. It is important to fully understand and work through the problems on your own before seeking outside help, as it will enhance your understanding and critical thinking skills in the subject. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are the major problems addressed in Alastair Rae's Quantum Mechanics 5th edition?

The major problems addressed in this edition include the measurement problem, the interpretation of wave function collapse, the role of human consciousness in quantum mechanics, the concept of entanglement, and the connection between classical and quantum mechanics.

2. How does Alastair Rae propose solutions to these problems?

Rae offers a variety of solutions to these problems, such as the many-worlds interpretation, the Copenhagen interpretation, and the decoherence theory. He also discusses the role of quantum information and the potential for new technologies to further our understanding of these problems.

3. What is the significance of the measurement problem in quantum mechanics?

The measurement problem refers to the paradoxical nature of quantum mechanics, where the act of measurement can influence the state of a quantum system. This raises questions about the role of the observer and the objective reality of quantum systems.

4. How does Alastair Rae address the role of human consciousness in quantum mechanics?

Rae presents various perspectives on the role of human consciousness in quantum mechanics, including the idea that consciousness may play a role in the collapse of the wave function, as well as the possibility that consciousness is a necessary element in the creation of reality.

5. What are some potential implications of the solutions proposed in Alastair Rae's Quantum Mechanics 5th edition?

The proposed solutions to the problems in quantum mechanics could have significant implications for our understanding of reality and the nature of the universe. They also have the potential to impact future advancements in technology, such as quantum computing and communication. Additionally, these solutions could lead to further philosophical debates about the role of consciousness in the universe.