Final angular velocity of dropped yoyo

In summary, the book says that a yo-yo of total mass M = 0.24kg consists of two disks of radius R = 2.8cm connected by a thin shaft of radius R0 = 0.25cm. A string of length L = 1.2m is wrapped around the shaft. If the yo-yo is thrown downward with an initial velocity of v0 = 1.4m/s, what is its rotational velocity when it reaches the end of the string?The book says that the rotational inertia of the disk(s) is I = (1/2)MR2, and the rotational energy is KEr = (1/2) I ω2. If you
clementc

Homework Statement

Hey guys,
I just read Physics, by Halliday, Resnick and Krane. There's a chapter on rotational dynamics, and the example goes like this:
A yo-yo of total mass M = 0.24kg consists of two disks of radius R = 2.8cm connected by a thin shaft of radius R0 = 0.25cm. A string of length L = 1.2m is wrapped around the shaft. If the yo-yo is thrown downward with an initial velocity of v0 = 1.4m/s, what is its rotational velocity when it reaches the end of the string?

Homework Equations

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2} mv^2[/tex]
[tex]Rotational KE = \frac{1}{2} I{\omega}^2[/tex]
[tex]I of a cylinder = \frac{1}{2} mr^2[/tex]
Conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

The way the book did it was really strange and long, so I tried doing it using conservation of energy, but got the wrong answer. Can anyone see what's wrong here?
[PLAIN]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6251/rotational.png
Their answer was 610 rad/s, but I really don't know where I went wrong here. Any help would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to add the initial rotational energy when you summed up for the initial kinetic energy.

The rotational inertia of the disk(s) is I = (1/2)MR2, and the rotational energy is KEr = (1/2) I ω2. So there's two factors of 1/2 in there.

Oh oops yeah forgot about the initial rotational KE
And sorry my working was a bit unclear - i actually multiplied across all terms by 2 so one of those factors of 1/2 disappeared

This is my new working, but its still giving me a different answer of 433 rad/s =(
Sorry about this, but could you please please look through this new working? i really can't find anything wrong with it but the answers 610 rad/s
Thank you very very much. its just been nagging me all day and i have a really really big exam coming up on saturday. thanks a lot

[PLAIN]http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/3142/rotation2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You're still missing a (1/2) on the rotational energy term on the RHS. This is before you multiplied through by 2.

OH OF COURSE! thank you so so much sir =DD thank you thank you thank you!
im such an idiot ==; i treated the two disc separately at first and forgot that the mass in 1/2mr^2 was the mass of the entire yoyo.
the answer did indeed come out to 610 rad/s =) thanks so much!

1. What is the final angular velocity of a dropped yoyo?

The final angular velocity of a dropped yoyo depends on various factors such as the initial velocity, weight distribution, and air resistance. It can also vary depending on the height from which the yoyo is dropped. Generally, the final angular velocity decreases as the yoyo falls due to the influence of air resistance and friction.

2. How is the final angular velocity of a dropped yoyo calculated?

The final angular velocity of a dropped yoyo can be calculated using the formula: ωf = (ωi^2 + 2gh)^(1/2), where ωi is the initial angular velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the yoyo is dropped. This formula assumes no air resistance and a constant gravitational acceleration.

3. Does the mass of the yoyo affect the final angular velocity?

Yes, the mass of the yoyo can affect the final angular velocity. A heavier yoyo will have a higher inertia, which means it will resist changes in its angular velocity more. This can result in a slightly lower final angular velocity compared to a lighter yoyo with the same initial conditions.

4. How does air resistance impact the final angular velocity of a dropped yoyo?

Air resistance can significantly impact the final angular velocity of a dropped yoyo. As the yoyo falls, it experiences air resistance, which decreases its velocity and therefore decreases its angular velocity. The impact of air resistance can be reduced by using a smoother and more aerodynamic yoyo design.

5. Is the final angular velocity of a dropped yoyo affected by the length of the string?

Yes, the length of the string can affect the final angular velocity of a dropped yoyo. The longer the string, the greater the distance the yoyo has to fall, resulting in a higher final angular velocity. However, the impact of string length is relatively small compared to other factors such as air resistance and initial velocity.