Can Gravity Affect the Laws of Physics?

• Thread starter Spiritriser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between gravity and the laws of physics. It is clarified that gravity does not affect the laws of physics, but rather changes the context in which they are applied. The concept of a singularity in black holes is also mentioned, and it is noted that general relativity may not be applicable in these extreme cases. Ultimately, it is concluded that gravitational interactions are a part of physics, but do not alter the fundamental laws of the field.
Spiritriser
Ok, try to simplify anything you say a bit, I am only fourteen and haven't had much time to be interested in physics, i love quantum physics though and I am trying to understand it as early as possible.
~~~
My question is, can gravity affect the Laws of Physics? I understand it sounds odd, and hard to measure i suppose... as one (the laws) is something more real yet abstract, and the other is a property. But I have no clue where i heard this, probably Einstein, but i heard that everything could be turned into numbers, and 100% described that way, wouldn't that include the laws of physics? then gravity could be affect it. If you're wondering where I am getting this from, i was thinking about black holes, and how the laws of physics "crumble" when you attempt to understand them. Of course, all my knowledge comes from online articles and the Science channel, so it's most likely out-dated and only partially correct, i love hearing about science, so any helpful replies are welcome :) unhelpful too, ill make them helpful in my head somehow haha

Physics news on Phys.org
No, gravity does not affect the laws of physics. Fundamentally, gravity changes the "stage" upon which those laws are played out. This is because from Einstein we know that gravity is really just dynamic curvature of spacetime. The issue with the black hole is that general relativity predicts a singularity, i.e. a point where some physical quantity goes to infinity. All this really means is that general relativity doesn't work here, and isn't making sense. It's rather nice, because the theory tells us straight away where it isn't helpful and might need to be modified.

Gravitational interactions are part of physics like anything else is, I don't understand the question.

Ok, that makes sense :) thanks for the help
and to the second reply (sorry, forgot to check the name), i meant would gravity affect the laws of physics and as was explained it does not but it does change what the laws affect.

Gravity is a fundamental force that affects all objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit, making objects fall to the ground, and even shaping the universe on a large scale. But can it affect the laws of physics?

The laws of physics are a set of rules and principles that describe how the universe works. They include the laws of motion, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others. These laws are based on observations and experiments and have been tested and proven to be true.

Gravity, on the other hand, is a force that is described by the law of gravitation, which was first proposed by Isaac Newton. This law states that any two objects with mass will attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

So, can gravity affect the laws of physics? The short answer is no. Gravity is a fundamental force that follows the laws of physics, it does not change or affect them. However, gravity can influence the behavior of objects and particles, which may lead to some confusion or changes in our understanding of the laws of physics.

For example, black holes, which have an incredibly strong gravitational pull, can distort the fabric of space and time, which affects the behavior of matter and light. This may seem like the laws of physics are being "crumbled," but in reality, they are still being followed, just in a different way due to the extreme conditions of a black hole.

In conclusion, gravity is a powerful force that affects many aspects of the universe, but it does not affect the laws of physics. These laws remain constant and are the foundation of our understanding of the universe. Keep exploring and learning about science, and you'll continue to unravel the mysteries of the world around us.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. It is the force that keeps planets orbiting around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. What does gravity affect?

Gravity affects all objects with mass. This includes everything from the smallest particle to the largest celestial bodies. It also affects the motion of objects, causing them to accelerate towards each other.

3. How does gravity affect objects differently?

The strength of gravity's pull on an object depends on the mass of the objects involved and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the gravitational force. This is why objects of different masses fall at the same rate on Earth, but objects on the moon fall slower due to its lower mass.

4. Can gravity be observed in space?

Yes, gravity can be observed in space. In fact, gravity is one of the most important forces at play in the universe. It is responsible for the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. Astronauts also experience the effects of gravity in space, even though they appear to be floating in microgravity.

5. How does gravity affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, gravity can also affect time. The closer an object is to a massive body, the slower time will pass for it. This is known as gravitational time dilation and has been observed in experiments with atomic clocks in different gravitational fields.