ES potential two parallel plates

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the electrostatic potential between two flat plates in an electrolyte solution. It mentions the use of the Poisson equation and the hyperbolic cosine function, as well as the surface potential at the plate surfaces being low. The conversation also mentions the Poisson-Boltzmann equation and the interaction between the two plates. The speaker expresses difficulty in solving the problem and asks for advice.
Knot Head
Derive the electrostatic potential between two flat plates in electrolyte solution. The surface potential at the plate surfaces is low.

I think this problem uses the Poisson equation for electostatic potential, but the one I came up with was wrong. It involves the hyperbolic cos. (cosh)

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\alpha[/tex]
Knot Head said:
Derive the electrostatic potential between two flat plates in electrolyte solution. The surface potential at the plate surfaces is low.

I think this problem uses the Poisson equation for electostatic potential, but the one I came up with was wrong. It involves the hyperbolic cos. (cosh)

[tex]\Phi[/tex]'([tex]\(pmR)[/tex]=[tex]\pm2S_{R}[/tex]/[tex]\lambda_{GC}[/tex]
S[tex]_{R}[/tex]=sgn([tex]\sigma_{R}[/tex]
[tex]\Phi[/tex]'(0)=0

and Poisson-Boltzman
[tex]\Psi[/tex]=[tex]\beta[/tex]q[tex]\phi[/tex] for two identical charged plates is given by
-[tex]\Psi[/tex]''(z)+sinh [tex]\Psi[/tex](z)=0
the first integral= cosh [tex]\Psi[/tex]
the interaction between the two plates is:
P=2nT([tex]\alpha[/tex]-1)=T[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex]/4[tex]\pi[/tex]l[tex]\lambda[/tex]

I keep going around and around but I'm not even close. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What is the concept of "ES potential two parallel plates"?

"ES potential two parallel plates" refers to the electric potential difference between two parallel plates that are placed in an electric field. This potential difference is created by the charges on the plates and can be measured using a voltmeter.

What factors affect the electric potential between two parallel plates?

The electric potential between two parallel plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the magnitude of the charges on the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. Increasing the distance or the magnitude of the charges will increase the potential, while increasing the dielectric constant will decrease the potential.

How can the electric potential between two parallel plates be calculated?

The electric potential between two parallel plates can be calculated using the formula V = Ed, where V is the potential difference, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance between the plates. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the formula V = Q/C, where Q is the charge on the plates and C is the capacitance of the plates.

What is the significance of the electric potential between two parallel plates?

The electric potential between two parallel plates is significant because it is a measure of the ability of the plates to store electric charge. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the principles of capacitance in circuits.

Can the electric potential between two parallel plates be negative?

Yes, the electric potential between two parallel plates can be negative. This occurs when the charges on the plates are of opposite signs, creating an electric field that decreases in magnitude between the plates. In this case, the potential decreases from positive to negative as you move from one plate to the other.