Can Spaceships Travel Faster Than the Speed of Light?

In summary: The two spaceships are moving at the same speed relative to the stationary Earth, but their relative speed to each other cannot be determined by simply adding their individual speeds. This is due to the Theory of Relativity, which states that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel. Therefore, their relative speed cannot exceed the speed of light, regardless of the frame of reference. For a more in-depth explanation, please refer to the provided links.
multiix
Two spaceships are traveling relative to Earth (stationary). One spaceship is going to the right at 0.8c the other is going to the left at 0.8c. Could you say their relative speed to one another is .8c+.8c? I'm thinking not since you can't possible go faster then the speed of light, doesn't matter what the frame of reference is.

Please Help me with the Theory behind this

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
multiix said:
Two spaceships are traveling relative to Earth (stationary). One spaceship is going to the right at 0.8c the other is going to the left at 0.8c. Could you say their relative speed to one another is .8c+.8c? I'm thinking not since you can't possible go faster then the speed of light, doesn't matter what the frame of reference is.

Please Help me with the Theory behind this

That is their relative speed wrt the earth, not the speed of one to another (note that "relative" can be omitted for the last). So, if for relative speed you use the definition of "difference of speeds" (as Einstein did and as I learned it) then it does matter what the frame of reference is. Further, see the links already provided.

This appears to be part of a homework assignment.

1. What is relative speed?

Relative speed refers to the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It is the speed at which one object is moving with respect to another object.

2. How is relative speed calculated?

Relative speed is calculated by finding the difference between the velocities of the two objects. This can be done by subtracting the speed of one object from the speed of the other object.

3. How does relative speed affect collisions?

Relative speed plays a crucial role in collisions as it determines the impact force and damage caused. The higher the relative speed between two objects, the greater the damage will be upon impact.

4. What is relative size?

Relative size refers to the size of an object in relation to another object. It is the comparison of the size of one object to the size of another object.

5. How is relative size calculated?

Relative size can be calculated by finding the ratio of the sizes of two objects. This can be done by dividing the size of one object by the size of the other object and expressing it as a fraction or percentage.