Please help me with trigonometric functions, etc.

In summary, for the pre-calculus final, the questions involve finding the exact value of cos(theta+pi/6) given that sin(theta)=1/4 and theta is in quadrant II, simplifying sin(sin^-1(2/3) + cos^-1(1/3)), and simplifying cos(5pi/18)sin(pi/9) - cos(pi/9)sin(5pi/18). For the first question, use the composite argument formula and simplify. For the second question, use the inverse sine and cosine functions and simplify. For the third question, use the sum/difference identities for sine and simplify. Good luck on your final!
esploded
1. Hi, I have a pre-calculus final tomorrow, and there are a few questions I don't understand.
I'd truly appreciate it if you could help :)

1. If sin(theta)=1/4, theta in quadrant II, find the exact value of cos(theta+pi/6)

2. sin(sin^-1(2/3) + cos^-1(1/3)) -- simplify

3. cos(5pi/18)sin(pi/9) - cos(pi/9)sin(5pi/18) -- simplify

2. n/a

1. if sin theta = 1/4, that would mean the sides are 1, 4, root15. Use coscos-sinsin (composite argument) and plug into make [(root 15)/4 * root3/2 ] - [1/4 * 1/2] then...?

2. I'm truly confused about this one... do you use the calculator to find the individual inverse sine/cosine functions? then add the two, and use the sin function on them? If so, do you use the graphing calculator?

3. this is the sine composite function (subtracting), I know that, but I do not know how to continue on...

I am so bad at these, and I'm freaking out for my final... :(

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
θ is in Quadrant II, so cos(θ) is negative.

For #3, just take a look at the sum/difference identities:

Once you have it in the form sin(x-y), it should be easy to simplify..

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. The three basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How are trigonometric functions used?

Trigonometric functions are used to solve problems involving triangles and angles. They are also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to model and analyze periodic phenomena.

3. What is the unit circle and how does it relate to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of a Cartesian coordinate system. It is used in trigonometry to visualize and define the values of trigonometric functions for any angle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine value and the y-coordinate represents the sine value of the corresponding angle.

4. How do I use trigonometric functions to solve equations?

Trigonometric functions can be used to solve equations involving triangles and angles. This is done by using the properties and identities of trigonometric functions, as well as applying algebraic techniques such as factoring and substitution.

5. Are there any real-world applications of trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of trigonometric functions. Some examples include using trigonometry to calculate the height of a building or the distance between two points, analyzing the movement of waves and sound, and designing structures such as bridges and dams.