Looking for experience and money.

In summary, a telecommunications technician with experience in electrical engineering can find work in the field. However, it will take twice as long to get a degree.
~not
Hi, at the moment I am studying at a community college. Hoping on finishing transferable units on a civ/meche program and then transferring to some university. But, at the moment I need a job. :cry: Is it possible to get an apprenticeship with some company or is that wishful thinking? What do you recommend doing? Thank a lot for any advice. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure it's possible. I'd recommend putting together a resume, talking with the career counselors at your college, and applying for jobs.

If you are lacking for money, you might consider doing what I did: Go to work full time and go to school part time. Try to find work in the field you're studying.

I got a job as a telecommunications technician. I studied electrical engineering at night. By day I was doing things such as adjusting Microwave FM transmitter deviation by looking for the carrier Null of a reference test tone on a spectrum analyzer. I found the Bessel Null equation and then tried it on mobile radio transceivers. I scaled it so that could work there too. We used that for adjusting our test equipment to give us consistent deviation for setting up voter receivers.

By the time I got to studying signals and systems, I had a very practical, hands on experience that no school could match. Signals and Systems class, which was a real wash out course for most electrical engineering students, was comprehensible, though still not exactly easy.

Many utilities are looking for engineers as the older staff retire. The baby boom is eligible to retire and many who are in engineering positions are from the Baby Boom era. Look for internships that might be converted to become full time work.

Industry itself has begun to realize that without a diversity of ages and some form of mentoring by older staff to younger staff, bad things will happen. Yet our company continues to attempt filling open positions with older experience people from other places. At some point this will be very counterproductive. You happen to be in a very good position to bargain --if you take the time to talk to people, find out who is hiring, and where.

The only downside to the way I did things: It took twice as long to get my undergraduate degree. I wanted only to be an engineer. For most engineering positions, a Bachelor's degree is adequate. In some fields, such as Civil Engineering, a Masters might get you a bit further along, but you can nearly as well, if not better, by taking the EIT and then getting the PE certification a few years later.

Good Luck!

1. How do I gain experience while also making money?

To gain experience while making money, you can look for internships or part-time jobs in your field of interest. These opportunities can provide hands-on experience while also providing a source of income.

2. Is it better to prioritize experience or money?

This depends on your personal goals and priorities. If you are just starting out in your career, gaining experience may be more important in the long run. However, if you have financial obligations, you may need to prioritize making money in the short term.

3. Can I negotiate for a higher salary to compensate for lack of experience?

It is possible to negotiate for a higher salary based on your skills and qualifications, but it may be more difficult if you have limited experience. It may be beneficial to focus on gaining experience first and then negotiate for a higher salary in the future.

4. What types of jobs offer both experience and good pay?

Some jobs that offer both experience and good pay include entry-level positions in high-demand industries, such as technology or healthcare. Additionally, internships or co-op programs can provide valuable experience and may also offer stipends or hourly pay.

5. How can I use my past experience to land a higher paying job?

You can highlight your past experience in your resume and cover letter, emphasizing transferable skills that can be applied to the job you are applying for. Networking and obtaining strong references can also help you stand out and potentially lead to higher paying job opportunities.