Is the Cosmological Constant Truly Constant?

In summary: Classically, then, the effective cosmological constant is the sum of a bare term \Lambda_0 and the potential energy V(\phi), where the latter may change with time as the universe passes through different phases.This sounds like it is ok to include a cosmological constant of the form\Lambda(x_{\alpha})=\Lambda_0+V\,[\phi(x_{\alpha})] that consists of an initial cosmological constant, \Lambda_0, summed with a scalar function V. Have I interpreted this correctly?
jfy4
Hi,

I am wondering if the cosmological constant is a constant in the sense that it can only have one value, ie some constant element of the reals, or if it can be a scalar function too dependent on the coordinate variables, eg [itex]\Lambda(r,t)[/itex].

Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually it's constant to maintain that the divergence of the stress-energy tensor is zero.

I think there are ways of adding it not to the field equations, but to the action, and varying with respect to it, to also maintain energy conservation. http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0505128

Last edited:
atyy said:
Usually it's constant to maintain that the divergence of the stress-energy tensor is zero.

I think there are ways of adding it not to the field equations, but to the action, and varying with respect to it, to also maintain energy conservation. http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0505128

That makes sense. If I may, would the satisfaction of
[tex]\nabla_{\beta}\left( T^{\alpha\beta}-g^{\alpha\beta}\Lambda\right)=0[/tex]
justify the inclusion of a cosmological constant that was a scalar function?

Last edited:
jfy4 said:
That makes sense. If I may, would the satisfaction of
[tex]\nabla_{\beta}\left( T^{\alpha\beta}-g^{\alpha\beta}\Lambda\right)=0[/tex]
justify the inclusion of a cosmological constant that was a scalar function?

Do you mean something like the potential of a scalar field forming part of the stress-energy tensor of matter (http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Carroll2/Carroll1_3.html" )?

Last edited by a moderator:
atyy said:
Do you mean something like the potential of a scalar field forming part of the stress-energy tensor of matter (http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Carroll2/Carroll1_3.html" )?

Thanks for your help,

I think this answers my question.
Classically, then, the effective cosmological constant is the sum of a bare term [itex]\Lambda_0[/itex] and the potential energy [itex]V(\phi)[/itex], where the latter may change with time as the universe passes through different phases.

This sounds like it is ok to include a cosmological constant of the form
[tex]\Lambda(x_{\alpha})=\Lambda_0+V\,[\phi(x_{\alpha})][/tex]
that consists of an initial cosmological constant, [itex]\Lambda_0[/itex], summed with a scalar function [itex]V[/itex]. Have I interpreted this correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
jfy4 said:
Hi,

I am wondering if the cosmological constant is a constant in the sense that it can only have one value, ie some constant element of the reals, or if it can be a scalar function too dependent on the coordinate variables, eg [itex]\Lambda(r,t)[/itex].

Thanks in advance,

The LHS of the Einstein equation should be divergenceless, because the right hand side is (energy momentum conservation). This brings one to the addition of a term

[tex]
\Lambda g^{\mu\nu} \ \ \rightarrow \nabla_{\mu}(\Lambda g^{\mu\nu}) = \nabla^{\nu}\Lambda = 0
[/tex]

So,

[tex]
\partial_{\mu} \Lambda = 0
[/tex]

Hence, lambda must be a constant.

1. What is the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant, denoted by the Greek letter lambda (Λ), is a term in Einstein's theory of general relativity that represents the energy density of the vacuum of space. It is a fundamental constant that contributes to the overall curvature of spacetime.

2. How does the cosmological constant affect the expansion of the universe?

The cosmological constant is believed to play a role in the accelerated expansion of the universe. It exerts a repulsive force that counteracts the gravitational pull of matter, causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate over time.

3. What evidence supports the existence of the cosmological constant?

The existence of the cosmological constant was first proposed by Albert Einstein in 1917 to explain the static nature of the universe. Later, in the 1990s, observations of distant supernovae confirmed the accelerated expansion of the universe, providing further evidence for the existence of the cosmological constant.

4. Can the value of the cosmological constant change over time?

According to the standard model of cosmology, the value of the cosmological constant remains constant over time. However, some theories suggest that it may vary over time, which could potentially explain the observed accelerated expansion of the universe.

5. How does the cosmological constant relate to dark energy?

Dark energy is a term used to describe the unknown force that is causing the accelerated expansion of the universe. The cosmological constant is one possible explanation for dark energy, but it is not the only theory. Other theories, such as quintessence, propose that dark energy is a dynamic field that can change over time.