Electrons in antinodes of orbitals

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of antinodes in relation to the structure of an atom and the use of spherical harmonics in the Schrödinger equation. The potential applications of this concept were also discussed, including as a new area for research. The conversation also touched on the nature of electrons and how they can be described as quantum mechanical waves. The discussion ended with a reminder to let someone else answer if you are not familiar with a term, rather than simply stating that you do not know.
kakarot1905
Hi

Thinking of the structure of an atom in terms of spherical harmonics; the mathematics of which is the base of schrodinger's wave equation.

If its possible to make the electrons gather at the antinodes, what are the possible applications/uses of this? (Simply a new area for research? or perhaps something greater?)

Please share any thoughts on what you might find interesting in an 'antinode' atom?

Thanks
Kakarot1905

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) I've never heard the word antinode. What is that supposed to be?
2) Spherical harmonics are related to problems with spherical symmetry and laplace differential operators. The only thing they have to do with the Schrödinger equation is that they are often seen in this context because the atom problem has spherical symmetry. They are certainly not be basis of any mathematics, merely some special solutions.

cgk said:
2) Spherical harmonics are related to problems with spherical symmetry and laplace differential operators. The only thing they have to do with the Schrödinger equation is that they are often seen in this context because the atom problem has spherical symmetry. They are certainly not be basis of any mathematics, merely some special solutions.

I was assuming that atomic orbitals to be some kind of spherical waves..

Nodes and Antinodes:
[URL]http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/h4.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
cgk said:

This article might help what I am trying to describe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node_(physics)"

//Read the chemistry bit

kakarot1905 said:
This article might help what I am trying to describe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node_(physics)"

//Read the chemistry bit

I realized that electrons can be described as quantum mechanical waves...
I was assuming that electrons are point-like particles stuck in the nodal region of some kind of force field created by the nucleus - I was wrong.

I think you are misunderstanding what an electron is. The wavefunction is the electron. The antinodes are part of the electron. That's like asking, "how do I gather an oscillating rope at its antinodes?" or "How do I stand in my own lap?" If you where to gather the rope to the point in space where there was an antinode, it would not be an antinode anymore. You can alter an electron's wavefunction so that it bunches up more at certain points in space, for instance by applying magnetic fields, but the electron becomes a new wavefunction shape with new nodes, etc.

cgk said:

Not to be rude, but perhaps if you don't know a word, let someone else answer who does, instead of just posting "I don't know" which is not very helpful.:smile:

Cheers!
- Chris

1. What are electrons in antinodes of orbitals?

Electrons in antinodes of orbitals refer to the location of electrons in an atom's energy levels, specifically in the regions of maximum electron density. These regions, called antinodes, are where the probability of finding an electron is highest.

2. How do electrons end up in antinodes?

Electrons in atoms follow specific energy levels and orbitals based on their energy and spin. When an electron absorbs energy, it can jump to a higher energy level and occupy an antinode in an orbital. Conversely, when an electron releases energy, it can move to a lower energy level and occupy a node in an orbital.

3. What is the significance of electrons in antinodes?

The distribution of electrons in antinodes is important because it determines the chemical and physical properties of an atom. The number and arrangement of electrons in antinodes can affect an atom's reactivity, stability, and ability to form chemical bonds.

4. How many electrons can occupy an antinode?

The number of electrons that can occupy an antinode depends on the type of orbital. For example, an s orbital can hold a maximum of 2 electrons in its antinode, while a p orbital can hold up to 6 electrons in its antinode (2 in each of the three sub-orbitals).

5. Can electrons in antinodes move to different energy levels?

Yes, electrons in antinodes can move to different energy levels when they absorb or release energy. This movement is known as electron transition and is responsible for the production of light in atoms. However, the movement of electrons in antinodes is restricted by the rules of quantum mechanics and can only occur in specific energy increments.