How to Find Geodesics on a Curved Surface Using Calculus of Variations

In summary: R\int_{\theta_{1}}^{\theta_{2}}{\sqrt{1+\sin^2\theta{\left(\frac{d\phi}{d\theta}\right)}^2}\left(\frac{d\theta}{d\phi}\right)d\theta}
matpo39
hi, we have just got to the point in my physics course where Newtons laws are now longer that easy to work with anymore and we are now beginning to reformulate those using variational methods, and I am a little confused on one of the problems.
The shortest path between two points on a curved surface, such as the surface of a sphere is called a geodesic. To find a geodestic, one has first to set up an integral that gives the length of a path on the surface in question. Use sperical polar coordinates (r,theat,phi) to show that the length of a path joining two points on a shere of radius R is L=R*integral(from theta_1 to theta_2)sqrt(1+sin^2(theta)*(phi_prime(theta))^2)*d(theta)

if (theta_1,phi_1) and (theta_2,phi_2) specify two points and we assume that the path is expressed as phi=phi(theta).

I know how to do this problem if it were just (x,y) it would be L=integral(from x_1 to x_2) ds, where ds= sqrt(dx^2+dy^2)= sqrt(1+y_prime(x)^2) dx
but I am getting confused on how to implement the spherical polar cords. For example x=r*sin(phi)*cos(theta), but then i don't know what dx would be because I am not sure what to differantiat?

thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
use chain rule...

[tex]dx=\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}dr+\frac{\partial x}{\partial \phi}d\phi+\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}d\theta[/tex]

same with [itex]dy[/itex]

Likes joaosodre8
ok i used the chain rule and came up with these values for my dx and dy

dx= cos(theta)sin(phi)*dr+r*cos(theta)cos(phi)*d(phi) - r*sin(theta)sin(phi)*d(theta)

dy= sin(theta)cos(phi)*dr-r*sin(theta)sin(phi)*d(phi)+r*cos(theta)cos(phi)*d(phi)

I then put those dy,dx values into the equation

ds=Sqrt(dx^2+dy^2) but i still can't get it to look like

L= R integral(from theta_1 to theta_2) (sqrt(1+sin^2(theta)*phi_prime(theta)^2)*d(theta)

also how would the dr,d(phi) work themselves out so all that would be left is the d(theta)?

Ok.. first of all, you are in 3 dimentions so the length of a curve is given by

[tex]L=\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}{\sqrt{{dx}^2+{dy}^2+{dz}^2}}[/tex]

now, given the spherical coordinates

[tex]x=r\cos\phi\sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]y=r\sin\phi\sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]z=r\cos\theta[/tex]

you have that

[tex]{dx}^2+{dy}^2+{dz}^2={dr}^2+r^2\sin^2\theta{d\phi}^2+r^2{d\theta}^2[/tex]

but you are over a sphere right? so [itex]dr=0[/itex] and [itex]r=R[/itex]

using all this we have

[tex]L=R\int_{\theta_{1}}^{\theta_{2}}{\sqrt{\sin^2\theta{d\phi}^2+{d\theta}^2}}=R\int_{\theta_{1}}^{\theta_{2}}{\sqrt{\sin^2\theta{\left(\frac{d\phi}{d\theta}\right)}^2{d\theta}^2+{d\theta}^2}}[/tex]

so

[tex]L=R\int_{\theta_{1}}^{\theta_{2}}{\sqrt{1+\sin^2\theta{\left(\frac{d\phi}{d\theta}\right)}^2}d\theta}[/tex]

Last edited:

Question 1: What is the purpose of calculus of variation?

The purpose of calculus of variation is to find the path or function that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity, known as a functional. This can be applied to a wide range of fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

Question 2: What is the difference between calculus of variation and traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with finding the optimal value of a function, while calculus of variation deals with finding the optimal function itself. In other words, traditional calculus focuses on a single variable, while calculus of variation considers a function as a whole.

Question 3: How is calculus of variation used in real-world applications?

Calculus of variation is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as finding the path of least resistance for a moving object, optimizing the shape of an object for maximum efficiency, and finding the optimal control for a dynamic system.

Question 4: What are some notable applications of calculus of variation in history?

Calculus of variation has been used in many groundbreaking developments, including the formulation of the laws of motion by Isaac Newton, the discovery of the brachistochrone curve by Johann Bernoulli, and the development of the calculus of variations by Leonhard Euler.

Question 5: Are there any limitations or challenges associated with calculus of variation?

One limitation of calculus of variation is that it can be computationally intensive, especially for complex problems. Additionally, the existence of an optimal solution is not always guaranteed, and there may be multiple optimal solutions for a given problem. It also requires a solid understanding of traditional calculus and mathematical concepts, making it challenging for beginners.