Measuring 3 phase power current

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring current in 3 phase cables and asks for recommendations on current clamp models. The method for measuring current with clamps is also discussed, with the understanding that the fields from the live and neutral wires cancel each other out. The conversation also touches on understanding 3 phase power and different methods for measuring current in multiple live wires.
karasumi
Hi there all
I'm looking to measure current in 3 phase cables, and would like some advice on any current clamp models you'd like to recommend. However, I'm not entirely certain on the method as well; I've used current clamps before on single phase cables, and I'm aware that you need to clamp only around the live, as the fields of the currents flowing in the live & neutral cancel each other out. Is the same true for all instruments? For three phase do you have to clamp around each live individually, or is there a method just to clamp around the 5-core cable?
I only ask in hope as in the situations where I need to measure these currents it's tricky if not impossible to clamp individually to each live core
Thanks for reading

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd be interested in understanding 3 phase power better as well. I'm guessing that if you have 5 conductors you have 3 live wires each 2/3Pi out of phase with each-other, a return, and a ground If I had to go at it with my current knowledge, and the 1 multimeter I own, I'd measure the RMS current flowing in each of the lines which would tell me the actual current flowing. That's the current actually being consumed resistively plus the ebb and flow from capacitive and inductive components. I could also measure the current flowing on the return line which would tell me the net RMS current from all the lines. Then it would be a matter of figuring out power factor. Can anyone think of a better way; mine is pretty ghetto?

1. What is 3 phase power?

3 phase power is a type of electrical power that is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings. It consists of three alternating currents that are out of phase with each other, providing a more efficient and stable flow of electricity compared to single phase power.

2. How is 3 phase power current measured?

3 phase power current is measured by using a device called a power meter, which is connected to each phase of the power supply. The power meter measures the voltage and current of each phase, and uses this information to calculate the total power being consumed.

3. What is the unit of measurement for 3 phase power current?

The unit of measurement for 3 phase power current is amperes (A), which is a measure of the amount of electrical charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit time. In some cases, it may also be expressed in kiloamperes (kA) or milliamperes (mA).

4. Why is it important to accurately measure 3 phase power current?

Accurately measuring 3 phase power current is important for several reasons. It allows for proper monitoring of energy usage and can help identify any issues or imbalances in the system. It also ensures that the electrical equipment is operating within safe and efficient levels, preventing potential damage or hazards.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of 3 phase power current measurements?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of 3 phase power current measurements, including electrical noise, improper connections, and variations in electrical load. It is important to regularly calibrate and maintain the power meter to ensure accurate readings.