Calculating the Escape Velocity from a Neutron Star

In summary, at high speeds, one should not really use mv^2/2 for the kinetic energy when calculating the escape velocity from the surface of a neutron star.
cougar_21
Question:

The radius of a neutron star is 750 times smaller than the Earth's radius, and its mass is 1.8 times larger than the Earth's mass. What is the escape velocity from the surface of a neutron star? (Ignore the fact that, at high speeds, one should not really use mv^2/2 for the kinetic energy.)

If my calculations are correct:
Rn=-4.7711x10^9 m
Mn= 1.0757x10^30 kg

I know that E= K + U in whick K is mv^2/2 and U = GmM/R but don't know how to advance, please help :redface:

Does vesc= square root of (2GMn/Rn) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cougar_21 said:
Question:

The radius of a neutron star is 750 times smaller than the Earth's radius, and its mass is 1.8 times larger than the Earth's mass. What is the escape velocity from the surface of a neutron star? (Ignore the fact that, at high speeds, one should not really use mv^2/2 for the kinetic energy.)

If my calculations are correct:
Rn=-4.7711x10^9 m
Mn= 1.0757x10^30 kg

I know that E= K + U in whick K is mv^2/2 and U = GmM/R but don't know how to advance, please help :redface:

Does vesc= square root of (2GMn/Rn) ?

You have omitted the minus sign from potential energy. The condition for escape is K + U > 0 ([itex]U \rightarrow 0[/itex] as [itex]R \rightarrow \infty[/itex]).

AM

First, as Andrew said, U = -GmM/R. It is defined that way so that U = 0 when the distance between
the objects is "infinite".

Assuming your object is given some initial velocity and thereafter no force acts on it
other than gravity from the star, the total energy is constant, and at any given moment
E = K + U = (mv^2)/2 - GmM/R

Escape velocity means just enough to get to such a distance from the star that it's gravity
can no longer affect the object; i.e. theoretically the distance approaches
infinity, all of the initial kinetic energy is converted to potential energy and
therefore the final velocity = 0.

Holding total energy constant,
(1/2)mvi2 - GmM/Ri = (1/2)mvf2 - GmM/Rf
but since vf = 0 this becomes
(1/2)mvi2 - GmM/Ri = - GmM/Rf
rearranging terms:
(1/2)mvi2 = GmM/Ri - GmM/Rf
vi2 = 2GM(1/Ri - 1/Rf)
and since Rf -> ∞ the second fraction approaches 0 so this gives your equation:
vi2 = 2GM/Ri

thank you andrew and gnome, i would get the square of a negative answer and knew that was not right, but indeed I missed the minus sign. Thanks for the explanation gnome it helped me understand what i was doing ! Thank you both bunches XD!

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a highly dense celestial object that is formed from the collapse of a massive star during a supernova explosion. It is composed almost entirely of neutrons and has an extremely strong gravitational pull.

2. Why is calculating the escape velocity from a neutron star important?

Calculating the escape velocity from a neutron star is important because it helps us understand the extreme conditions and physics of these objects. It also has practical applications in space exploration and understanding the behavior of matter under intense gravitational forces.

3. How is the escape velocity from a neutron star calculated?

The escape velocity from a neutron star can be calculated using the formula v = sqrt(2GM/R), where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the neutron star, and R is the radius of the neutron star.

4. What is the typical escape velocity from a neutron star?

The typical escape velocity from a neutron star is around 100,000 km/s, which is much higher than the escape velocity from Earth, which is around 11 km/s. This is due to the extreme mass and density of a neutron star.

5. How does the escape velocity from a neutron star compare to the speed of light?

The escape velocity from a neutron star is typically a significant fraction of the speed of light, but it is not enough to reach the speed of light. In most cases, the escape velocity from a neutron star is around 30% of the speed of light.