Pursuing long term relationships when moving away?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of pursuing a long-distance relationship and whether it is worth it or not. The speaker shares their opinion that it is best not to pursue it, as the purpose of a romantic relationship is to prepare for marriage and long distance relationships may hinder truly getting to know someone. However, some people have been successful in maintaining a long-distance relationship if they have a strong foundation before being separated geographically. Ultimately, it is up to the individuals involved to decide how they want to handle the situation. The conversation also touches on the idea of pursuing personal happiness and how travel plans can attract certain types of people.
wukunlin
Gold Member
This is one of those things (too many of them) that I have been thinking about...

Ever since I school I have always wanted to move to some other country that is more populous, and eventful. At the same time I have been trying to form relationships.
I feel like it is probably inappropriate to pursue for serious, long term relationships (not really interested in those short term messing around type of stuff) when I will be jumping on a plane taking me thousands of km's away at the first chance I got.

I have seen people trying to maintain long distance relationships with varying degrees of success, but more often than not they end messily.

What are other people's opinion on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pursuing a long-distance relationship is not impossible, but it's best not to pursue it in my opinion. I believe that the romantic relationship we have is a preparation for marriage. The purpose of having boyfriend/girlfriend is to really get to know them so that adjustments during marriage will be a lot easier. But with a long-distance relationships, there's a chance that we might not really get to know the person deeply. And that spells disaster during marriage. But some people do well since they have had good foundation in their relationship before being separated geographically. Ultimately, it depends on you two--how you will handle it.

Amor de lejos, amor de pendejos.

Long distance love is a fool's love.

Just do what you want where you are. Do what makes you happy, when you want.

Before I left my country, I found a number of girls who were very turned on by hearing my travel plans. You auto-select against girls who want a long-term relationship, and for girls who are OK with flings.

Win-win

What are the challenges of pursuing long term relationships when moving away?

One of the biggest challenges is maintaining communication and closeness with your partner, especially if you are in a long distance relationship. It can also be difficult to build a new support system in a new location and to balance your new life with maintaining your relationship.

How can I make a long distance relationship work when moving away?

Communication is key in making a long distance relationship work. Set aside dedicated time to talk or video chat with your partner, and make an effort to stay updated on each other's lives. It's also important to trust and support each other, and to have a plan for eventually closing the distance.

Is it possible to maintain a strong connection with a partner while living in different places?

Yes, it is possible to maintain a strong connection with a partner while living in different places. It may require more effort and creativity, but with open and honest communication, trust, and a commitment to the relationship, you can stay connected and keep your bond strong.

Should I prioritize my career or my relationship when moving away?

This is ultimately a personal decision and will depend on your individual priorities and goals. Ideally, you can find a balance between your career and relationship, but it's important to have open and honest communication with your partner about your goals and expectations for the future.

How can I build a new support system when moving away for a relationship?

Making new friends and building a support system in a new location can take time, but it's important to put yourself out there and get involved in activities or groups that align with your interests. Additionally, you can reach out to people in your partner's circle to connect with and potentially build friendships with. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things.