Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation (Obtaining the constants)

In summary: R^2dx=0I hope this helps clarify the approach for solving this problem. Remember to take into account the boundary conditions and use the least-squares method to minimize the integral of the squared residual. Keep up the good work!
roldy

Homework Statement

Consider the differential equation

[tex]-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}=cos\pi x[/tex] for 0<x<1

subject to the boundary condition

u(0)=0, u(1)=0

Determine a three-parameter solution, with trigonometric functions the least-squares method

Given: [tex]u=\phi_0 + c_1\phi_1 + c_2\phi_2 + c_3\phi_3[/tex]

[tex]\phi_0=0, \phi_1=sin\pi x, \phi_2=sin2\pi x, \phi_3=sin3\pi x[/tex]

Homework Equations

1st and 2nd derivatives of u with respect to x
Derivative of R with respect to ci

[tex]0=\int_0^1R\frac{\partial R}{\partial c_i}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]u=c_1sin\pi x + c_2sin2\pi x + c_3sin3\pi x=\Sigma_{i=1}^n c_isin(i\pi x)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}=-\Sigma_{i=1}^n c_i(i\pi)^2sin(i\pi x)[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial R}{\partial c_i}=(i\pi)^2sin(i\pi x)[/tex]

so then,

[tex]R=-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}-cos(\pi x)=\Sigma_{i=1}^n c_i(i\pi)^2sin(i\pi x)-cos(\pi x)[/tex]
[tex]0=\int_0^1R\frac{\partial R}{\partial c_i}dx=\int_0^1\left[\Sigma_{i=1}^n c_i(i\pi)^2sin(i\pi x)-cos(\pi x)\right]\left[(i\pi)^2sin(i\pi x)\right]dx[/tex]

The term,
[tex](i\pi)^2[/tex] is dropped out because it's just a multiplicative factor.

So then I arrive here, at which point I'm stuck
[tex]0=\int_0^1\left[\Sigma_{i=1}^n c_i(i\pi)^2sin(i\pi x)-cos(\pi x)\right]sin(i\pi x)dx[/tex]

I know that I need to somehow get [tex]c_1, c_2, c_3[/tex]
If I integrate the above integral across the summation, I'll end up with one equation with the three constants.

I would think that I need three equations. Do I perform the summation from i=1,2,3 and then integrate, which would give me one equation, or do I integrate and then do the summation? If I remember correctly I can take the summation out before the integral. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand that you are trying to solve the given differential equation using the least-squares method and trigonometric functions. Your approach so far seems to be on the right track. However, there are a few things that I would like to clarify and suggest for your solution.

Firstly, the given differential equation is a second-order one, so we would expect to have a solution with two arbitrary constants. However, your solution includes three arbitrary constants. This may be because you have included the constant term \phi_0 in your solution, which is not necessary. The general solution for the given differential equation should be u=c_1sin\pi x+c_2sin2\pi x, where c_1 and c_2 are arbitrary constants. Therefore, we need to find two equations to determine c_1 and c_2 using the least-squares method.

Secondly, in your attempt at a solution, you have not taken into account the given boundary conditions. These conditions should be satisfied by the solution u=c_1sin\pi x+c_2sin2\pi x. Therefore, we can write the following equations using the given boundary conditions:

u(0)=0=c_1sin(0)+c_2sin(0)=0
u(1)=0=c_1sin(\pi)+c_2sin(2\pi)=0

These two equations will help us determine the values of c_1 and c_2. Now, let's move on to the least-squares method. The idea behind this method is to minimize the sum of the squared errors between the given differential equation and the solution. In other words, we want to minimize the integral of the squared residual (R) over the given domain. This can be written as:

min\int_0^1R^2dx=\int_0^1\left(-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}-cos(\pi x)\right)^2dx

To minimize this integral, we can take the derivative of the integrand with respect to c_1 and c_2 and set them equal to 0. This will give us two equations that we can solve to find the values of c_1 and c_2. The resulting equations will be:

\frac{\partial}{\partial c_1}\int_0^1R^2dx=0
\

1. How is the Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation used to obtain the constants in a scientific context?

The Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation is a method used in mathematical physics to approximate the solution to a complex problem by using a simpler, approximate solution. It involves choosing a set of basis functions and then finding the coefficients that minimize the residual error between the approximate and true solutions. These coefficients are the constants that are obtained through the Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation.

2. What is the significance of the Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation in scientific research?

The Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation is significant because it allows scientists and researchers to approximate the solution to complex problems that may not have a closed-form solution. This method is commonly used in engineering, physics, and other fields to find solutions to problems that would otherwise be too difficult or time-consuming to solve.

3. How does the Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation differ from other approximation methods?

The Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation differs from other approximation methods in that it uses a variational approach, meaning it minimizes the error in the solution rather than directly solving for it. This allows for a more flexible and accurate approximation of the solution, especially for problems with complex boundary conditions.

4. Can the Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation be used for any type of problem?

The Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation can be used for a wide range of problems, but it is most commonly used for problems in mathematical physics, such as finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of differential equations. It may not be suitable for problems with discontinuous or highly nonlinear boundary conditions.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation?

While the Rayleigh-Ritz Approximation is a powerful method for approximating solutions to complex problems, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for problems with highly nonlinear or discontinuous boundary conditions, and the accuracy of the approximation depends on the choice of basis functions and the number of terms used in the approximation.