Power output of cyclist up slope at costant speed

In summary, the question asks for the power output needed for a cyclist to pedal up a 7.0 degree slope at a steady speed of 5.0 m/s with a total mass of 75 kg. The formula for power is P=Fvcosθ, and since there is no acceleration, the only force to overcome is gravity. By using the formula Fg=mg, the force needed is found to be 90 N. Using this force and the given speed and angle, the power output is calculated to be 450 W.
mrsteve

Homework Statement

A bicyclist coasts down a 7.0 degree slope at a steady speed of 5.0 m/s. Assuming a total mass of 75 kg (bicycle plus rider), what must the cyclist's power output be to pedal up the same slope at the same speed?

Homework Equations

[tex]P=Fvcos\theta[/tex]
[tex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
[tex]F_g=mg[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find the net force but since there is presumably no acceleration (constant velocity of 5.0 m/s) the only force is the force to overcome gravity and maintain a constant speed of 5.0 m/s. Correct?

I'm missing a formula somewhere I think. How do I find the force? Once I have that I can determine the Power using the first formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about force. When he climbs his potential energy changes.

Potential energy isn't covered until the next chapter. Also, I don't know the height, so how would I find PE?

Speed and angle give you height change per second.

What about

[tex]F_biker=mg\sin\theta => (75)(9.8)(\sin7)=9.0*10^1[/tex]

[tex]P=(90)(5.0)(\cos7)=4.47*10^2 => 4.5*10^2 = 450W[/tex]

Why do you have cos(7)? It doesn't change the answer much but I don't think it should be there.

I thought you needed it because theta is the angle between the force vector and the velocity vector.

No?

It changes the answer a lot without it. 90*50 = 4.5*10^3 I got 4.5*10^2

Check your math - cos(7) is 0.993, it can't change the answer tenfold. You have already taken care of the angle calculating vertical component of the force, assuming no friction vertical component is the only one doing work.

1. What is the relationship between power output and speed for a cyclist going up a slope at constant speed?

The power output of a cyclist going up a slope at constant speed is directly related to their speed. The higher the speed, the greater the power output required to maintain that speed. This is because the cyclist must overcome the force of gravity pulling them back down the slope, as well as any resistance from the road, air, or other factors.

2. How does the slope of the hill affect the power output of a cyclist going up at constant speed?

The slope of the hill has a significant impact on the power output of a cyclist going up at constant speed. The steeper the slope, the more power is required to maintain a constant speed. This is because the cyclist must work against a greater force of gravity, which increases with the slope angle.

3. What factors besides power output and slope can affect a cyclist's speed going up a slope?

Besides power output and slope, other factors that can affect a cyclist's speed going up a slope include the cyclist's weight, bike weight, aerodynamics, road surface, and wind conditions. These factors can all impact the amount of resistance the cyclist must overcome, and therefore affect their speed.

4. Is there an ideal power output for a cyclist to maintain a constant speed going up a slope?

There is no one ideal power output for a cyclist to maintain a constant speed going up a slope, as it varies depending on the individual's fitness level, bike setup, and other factors. However, studies have shown that most cyclists can sustain a power output of around 250-300 watts for a prolonged period of time.

5. How can a cyclist increase their power output going up a slope at constant speed?

To increase their power output going up a slope at constant speed, a cyclist can train to improve their strength and endurance. They can also optimize their bike setup for efficiency, such as using lighter components and adjusting their gear ratio. Additionally, proper nutrition and hydration can also play a role in increasing power output during uphill cycling.