Confusion in Lorentz Boost Equations: Minus Sign Needed?

In summary, On page 29 of Gravitation and Cosmology by S. Weinberg, two equations for matrix components are given as \Lambda_j^0=\gamma v_j. The question arises whether there should be a minus sign on the left side of the equation. While different authors may use different conventions for index placement in Lorentz versus inverse Lorentz transform matrices, the positive sign of \gamma v_j suggests that it is an inverse Lorentz transform with v_j directed in the usual manner. However, typos and mistakes are common in literature, as seen in G. 't Hooft's lecture notes. Weinberg's definition of v is the opposite of the usual assumption, where x =
facenian
On page 29 equations 2.1.20 and 2.1.21 of Gravitation and Cosmology by S. Weinberg he gives these expresions for matrix componentes:
[tex]\Lambda_j^0=\gamma v_j[/tex]
My question is: shouldn't there be a minus sign on left side of the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
By looking at your latex source you seem to be writing

[tex]{\Lambda_j}^0 = \gamma v_j[/tex]
Now, I don't know Weinberg's convension for index placement for a Lorentz vs. inverse Lorentz transform matrices. Different authors use different convensions.

However, the positive sign of [itex]\gamma v_j[/itex] indicates that it must be an inverse Lorentz transform if [itex]v_j[/itex] is taken to be directed in the usual manner.

On the other hand, authors make typos and mistakes and proof readers don't catch them all. Just tonight, I'm reading some gr lecture notes by G. 't Hooft (nephew of G. 't Hooft, it seems), and it's peppered with plenty of them.

Last edited:
Weinberg: "Suppose that one observer O sees a particle at rest, and a second observer O' sees it moving with velocity v."

In other words, he's saying that the line x = 0 corresponds to x' = vt'. This is the opposite of what most treatments assume, namely that x' = 0 corresponds to x = vt. So his definition of v is the opposite.

thank you both for your comments.
I understood the way Bill K says, but I needed a confirmation. I think we can replace v by minus -v only if both frames are parallel getting in this way the ussual form of the transformation equations.

1. What is a Lorentz boost?

A Lorentz boost is a transformation that describes how measurements of space and time change for an observer moving at a constant velocity relative to another observer.

2. Why is there confusion with Lorentz boost?

There is confusion with Lorentz boost because it is a concept from special relativity, which is not always intuitive and can be difficult to understand without a strong background in physics and mathematics.

3. How does a Lorentz boost affect time and space?

A Lorentz boost affects time and space by changing the perception of time and the measurement of distance for the moving observer. Time will appear to slow down and distances will appear shorter in the direction of motion.

4. Is there any experimental evidence for Lorentz boost?

Yes, there is strong experimental evidence for Lorentz boost. The phenomenon of time dilation, where time appears to slow down for moving objects, has been confirmed by many experiments, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

5. How does Lorentz boost relate to the theory of relativity?

Lorentz boost is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity. It is used to explain how measurements of time and space change when viewed from different reference frames, and is crucial in understanding the principles of special relativity.