Show that sqrt(n) is irrational

• Thread starter billy2908
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, to prove that sqrt(n!) is irrational given n>2, we can use the Chebyshev theorem to show that there is a prime number p between n and 2n. Then, using induction, we can prove that p only appears once in the factorization of n!, making it impossible for n! to be a perfect square. This holds true for both even and odd values of n.
billy2908
Let n>2. Where n is integer show that sqrt(n!) is irrational.

I am supposed to use the Chebyshev theorem that for n>2. There is a prime p such that n<p<2n.

So far I am up to inductive hypothesis. Assume it holds for k then show it holds for k+1.

Well if k! is irrational==> k!= 2^(e_2)***p^(e_n)

then there is one power of prime which is odd. Using number theory. But don't know any ideas how to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
billy2908 said:
Let n>2. Where n is integer show that sqrt(n!) is irrational.

I am supposed to use the Chebyshev theorem that for n>2. There is a prime p such that n<p<2n.

So far I am up to inductive hypothesis. Assume it holds for k then show it holds for k+1.

Well if k! is irrational==> k!= 2^(e_2)***p^(e_n)

then there is one power of prime which is odd. Using number theory. But don't know any ideas how to go from there.
Induction is not necessary. Assume that n = either 2k or 2k-1 with respect to the Chebyshev theorem in terms of k.

Last edited:
I think ramsey2879 means that the proof may be different for the cases n=odd and n=even. I've not gone through the details myself, but the idea of the proof is simple, if this helps:

Of all the numbers that make n!, namely 1.2.3...n, by Chebyschev theorem there is a prime p in the upper half (roughly speaking, between n/2 and n). The problem is that all multiples of that prime (2p, 3p, ...) are greater than n (since, if p > n/2, then 2p > n). So here you have a prime that appears only once in the factorization of n!... meaning that n! cannot be a square.

Dodo said:
I think ramsey2879 means that the proof may be different for the cases n=odd and n=even. I've not gone through the details myself, but the idea of the proof is simple, if this helps:

Of all the numbers that make n!, namely 1.2.3...n, by Chebyschev theorem there is a prime p in the upper half (roughly speaking, between n/2 and n). The problem is that all multiples of that prime (2p, 3p, ...) are greater than n (since, if p > n/2, then 2p > n). So here you have a prime that appears only once in the factorization of n!... meaning that n! cannot be a square.
Darn, I expected the Op to figure this out for himself!

Thanks I got it. But I did it a bit differently so proof as follows:

Let n!=(2k)!
Let's name the set N={1,2,3,...,k,...p,...,2k} basically all the factors of n!
p is a prime between k and 2k which is true by Chebyshev (we're not ask to show this thank god)

-First we show that p does not appear twice since p>k ==> 2p>2k so 2p is not in N.
-But we also show p^2 is not in N as well.
Basically I used induction to show p^2>2k when k>2. Therefore p only appears once and is only power to the one.

Hence since there is a power of prime that is not divisible by 2 (since p=p^1) ==> n! is irrational.

(Similar for n!=(2k+1)! I'll left it out).

billy2908 said:
Thanks I got it. But I did it a bit differently so proof as follows:

Let n!=(2k)!
Let's name the set N={1,2,3,...,k,...p,...,2k} basically all the factors of n!
p is a prime between k and 2k which is true by Chebyshev (we're not ask to show this thank god)

-First we show that p does not appear twice since p>k ==> 2p>2k so 2p is not in N.
-But we also show p^2 is not in N as well.
Basically I used induction to show p^2>2k when k>2. Therefore p only appears once and is only power to the one.

Hence since there is a power of prime that is not divisible by 2 (since p=p^1) ==> n! is irrational.
(Similar for n!=(2k+1)! I'll left it out).
Good work. One thought though; since you showed that 2p > 2k then, as all other multiples of p such as p^2 are greater than 2p for p> 2, all multiples of p are necessarily > n. Also, for a prime p in n! to be squared, only p and 2p need appear in N since p*2p = 2p^2. Therefore, your effort to show that p^2 > n was needless. Overall though a good proof for one relatively new to number theory.

Edit, here is a new problem for the op that is a little bit tougher:
If p is prime, show that p^p will never appear in the prime factorization of n!
Have fun solving this!

Last edited:
by "appear" do you mean that the valuation (exponent) of n! at p will never be exactly equal to p?

mathwonk said:
by "appear" do you mean that the valuation (exponent) of n! at p will never be exactly equal to p?
Yes, The exponent will skip from (p-1) to (p+1) in the valuation of n! at p.

1. What does it mean for a number to be irrational?

A number is considered irrational if it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that the decimal representation of an irrational number will never terminate or repeat in a pattern.

2. How do you prove that sqrt(n) is irrational?

To prove that sqrt(n) is irrational, we can use proof by contradiction. Assume that sqrt(n) is rational, meaning it can be expressed as a ratio a/b where a and b are integers. Then, we can square both sides to get n = a^2/b^2. However, this means that n is also a perfect square, which contradicts the definition of an irrational number. Therefore, sqrt(n) must be irrational.

3. Can you give an example of an irrational number?

One example of an irrational number is pi (π). Its decimal representation never terminates or repeats, and it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

4. Why is it important to prove that sqrt(n) is irrational?

Proving that sqrt(n) is irrational is important because it helps us understand the nature of numbers and their properties. This proof can also be used in other mathematical proofs and theories.

5. Can the square root of any number be irrational?

No, not all square roots are irrational. Some numbers have rational square roots, such as 4 (2 is the square root) and 9 (3 is the square root). However, for non-perfect square numbers, the square root is most likely irrational.