An ellipse fitting into a notch problem.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the depth of a notch that will allow an elliptical disk to fit snugly and squarely. The notch is 180 mm wide and the disk's major axis is 280 mm and minor axis is 40 mm. The equation used is (x^2)/(a^2) + (y^2)/(b^2) = 1. The attempt at a solution involved finding the x value for the edge of the notch and then using the ellipse equation to solve for the y value. However, the resulting y value of -12.8 was incorrect. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check the arithmetic and to refer to a diagram for clarification.
polishdude20

Homework Statement

I did this one before a few weeks ago but now I can't seem to get the right answer:

An elliptical disk is to fit snuggly and squarely into a notch cut into a rectangular plate. The notch is 180 mm wide. If the disk's major axis is 280 mm long and is parallel to the long edge of the notch, and the disk's minor axis is 40 mm wide. How deep does the notch need to be for the right edge of the disk to just touch the back of the notch?

Homework Equations

(x^2)/(a^2) + (y^2)/(b^2) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the "A" value is half of the major axis of the ellipse so it's 140mm, the "B" value is half of the minor axis so it's 20mm. The notch is 180mm wide so the x value for the edge of the notch which touches the ellipse is half of that which is 90mm. So I lug the numbers into the ellipse equation to solve for the Y value. I square the 140 and the 20 and the 90 in my calculations according to the formula and I get -12.8 so I thought that that would be the distance from the centre not from the bottom so I subtracted 12.8 from 20 which gave me 7.1. The answer is wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
polishdude20 said:
I square the 140 and the 20 and the 90 in my calculations according to the formula and I get -12.8
You get -12.8 before you take the square root to give y? Then there is probably something amiss right there. :smile: You explained what you were doing, and it seems right, so you'd better recheck. Post the arithmetic expression if you can't see your mistake.
so I thought that that would be the distance from the centre not from the bottom
Take a look at the diagram you drew, it will show exactly what y is. (You did draw a neat, large diagram, didn't you? With the ellipse centred at (0,0)? )

What is the correct answer, were you told?

1. What is an ellipse fitting into a notch problem?

An ellipse fitting into a notch problem is a mathematical problem where the goal is to find the largest possible ellipse that can fit into a given notch or cutout shape in a surface. This problem is often encountered in engineering and design, where the optimal size and shape of an object need to be determined.

2. How is the size of the ellipse determined in this problem?

The size of the ellipse is determined by finding the longest and shortest diameters of the notch and using those as the major and minor axes of the ellipse. The center of the ellipse is then placed at the center of the notch, and the ellipse is adjusted until it fits perfectly within the notch.

3. What are some real-world applications of this problem?

This problem has applications in various industries, such as architecture, carpentry, and manufacturing. It can be used to determine the optimal size and shape of objects like windows, doors, and machinery parts that need to fit into specific spaces or cutouts.

4. Are there any mathematical formulas or algorithms for solving this problem?

Yes, there are various mathematical formulas and algorithms that can be used to solve this problem. One commonly used method is the least squares fitting method, which involves minimizing the sum of the squared distances between the ellipse and the edges of the notch.

5. What are some challenges in solving this problem?

One of the main challenges in solving this problem is the complexity of the notch shape. In real-world applications, notches can have irregular shapes, making it difficult to determine the optimal ellipse size and shape. Additionally, the presence of other objects or constraints in the surrounding space can also affect the solution.