Electric Generators: A College-Level Intro Guide

In summary: I wentogling and found out that generators are similar to electric motors. I'd like to know a college level introductory book about electric generators that may help me understand and simulate stuff regarding electric generators. Would you happen to know of such a book?In summary, Stewart recommends looking for a book about electric generators that is introductory and may help beginners understand how generators work.
TomBombadil
Hi,

My EM professor assigned me to make a paper about Electric Generators. But i have no idea how it works. Googling it, i found out that generators are similar to electric motors

So, i'd like to know a college level introductory book about electric generators that may help me understand and simulate stuff regarding electric generators.

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TomBombadil said:
Hi,

My EM professor assigned me to make a paper about Electric Generators. But i have no idea how it works. Googling it, i found out that generators are similar to electric motors

So, i'd like to know a college level introductory book about electric generators that may help me understand and simulate stuff regarding electric generators.

thanks

Electric Machines by Hubert:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...TofjBeStsAK72NSqBQ&ved=0CGkQ8wIwBQ#ps-sellers

CS

Welcome to PF, Tom.
Please believe me when I say that I mean no offense by this, but your question sort of makes me wonder whether or not I'm still on the same planet that I was born on. We built electric motors in grade 6. (Really small ones, mind you... nothing that you could run a factory with.) A DC motor becomes a generator when the output shaft is turned by an external influence such as a waterwheel.
The "Beakman's World" comic strip has shown how to make them a couple of times.

stewartcs, thanks for the indication!

Danger, thanks for the welcome! electric machines isn't just my area, so I'm a completely noob.

TomBombadil said:
electric machines isn't just my area

No worries, Mate. I'm in the same boat, but my poisons are math and electronics. All that I know about them is that they are unpleasant, so I choose to avoid them.

1. What is an electric generator?

An electric generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It does this by using the principles of electromagnetic induction, in which a changing magnetic field induces a current in a nearby conductor.

2. How does an electric generator work?

An electric generator works by using a source of mechanical energy, such as steam, water, or wind, to turn a turbine. The turbine is connected to a rotor, which spins inside a stationary magnetic field. This rotation creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces a current in the nearby conductors, producing electrical energy.

3. What are the different types of electric generators?

There are several types of electric generators, including AC generators, DC generators, and induction generators. AC generators produce alternating current, while DC generators produce direct current. Induction generators use a rotating magnetic field to induce a current in a stationary conductor.

4. What are some common uses of electric generators?

Electric generators are used in a variety of applications, including power plants, backup power systems, and portable generators for outdoor activities. They are also commonly used in cars to charge the battery and power the electrical systems.

5. What are the main components of an electric generator?

The main components of an electric generator include a rotor, stator, and prime mover. The rotor is the rotating part of the generator that contains the conductors and produces the changing magnetic field. The stator is the stationary part of the generator that contains the conductors and creates the stationary magnetic field. The prime mover is the source of mechanical energy that drives the rotor, such as a steam turbine or gas engine.