Lost desire for research, should I stick out the Ph.D.?

In summary, the speaker is currently halfway through a Ph.D. program in optics, but has lost passion for research and has no desire to pursue a career requiring a Ph.D. They have passed exams and have a master's degree, but are unsure about dropping out. Their research skills in lasers, ultracold atoms, and spectroscopy may transfer well to industry. The speaker is seeking advice on whether to continue with the Ph.D. or pursue other options.
QED85
I'm currently about half-way (3.5 years) through a Ph.D. program at a top optics program in the U.S., my research is in experimental AMO. I've come to realize that I've lost the passion for research I once had, and really have no desire to enter any career field requiring a Ph.D. I have a hard time connecting with the academic world in general anymore, and just getting through a day of research is a struggle. The thing is, I've already passed all my comprehensive and oral exams and have a master's degree. I have no problems with my advisor or research group, though. Given how far I've come, it seems stupid to drop out now, but I just can't see myself making it through a dissertation. I do have the masters to fall back on, but even so, the economy right now isn't exactly outstanding, so I'm uncertain of the chances of finding a job. My life feels stalled right now due to how much I dislike what I'm doing. Should I just suck it up and finish? My research skills are in the area of lasers (semiconductor, fiber), ultracold atoms, and spectroscopy. Anyone familiar with how well these would transfer to industry?

Physics news on Phys.org
QED85 said:
Given how far I've come, it seems stupid to drop out now, but I just can't see myself making it through a dissertation. I do have the masters to fall back on, but even so, the economy right now isn't exactly outstanding, so I'm uncertain of the chances of finding a job. My life feels stalled right now due to how much I dislike what I'm doing. Should I just suck it up and finish? My research skills are in the area of lasers (semiconductor, fiber), ultracold atoms, and spectroscopy. Anyone familiar with how well these would transfer to industry?

If you can finish, then do. One thing that you need to figure out is whether or not you are having a bad moment which is typical for all Ph.d.'s, or if there is something more serious going on.

As far as employment goes, you will be much more employable with a Ph.D. than without one, simply because having the Ph.D. shows that you were able to overcome obstacles and get something done.

1. Why am I experiencing a loss of desire for research during my Ph.D. program?

It is not uncommon for individuals to experience a loss of motivation or passion for their research during a Ph.D. program. This can be due to a variety of reasons such as burnout, lack of support, or feeling overwhelmed by the demands of the program.

2. Will pushing through and completing my Ph.D. still be worth it even if I have lost my desire for research?

Ultimately, the decision to continue with your Ph.D. program should be based on your personal goals and priorities. If you are no longer passionate about your research, it may be beneficial to re-evaluate your long-term career goals and consider if completing the program aligns with those goals.

3. How can I reignite my passion for research during my Ph.D.?

There are a few strategies that may help reignite your passion for research during your Ph.D. program. These include taking breaks to recharge, seeking support from mentors and colleagues, finding ways to connect your research to your personal interests, and setting manageable goals.

4. Is it normal to have doubts about completing a Ph.D.?

Yes, it is completely normal to have doubts or second thoughts about completing a Ph.D. program. Pursuing a Ph.D. is a significant commitment and it is important to regularly reflect on your goals and priorities to ensure you are on the right path.

5. What are some alternative options if I decide not to continue with my Ph.D. program?

If you decide not to continue with your Ph.D. program, there are several alternative options available. These may include pursuing a master's degree, transitioning into a different field, or seeking employment in a related industry or job. It is important to carefully consider your options and make a decision that aligns with your personal and professional goals.